VIDS FROM THE KIDS: THE LITTLE MERMAID’S LIFE LESSONS
Good Enough Mother’s kids are scoping out stuff online again. (Man I gotta get them outside more). Anyway, this is their...Family & HomeJuly 19, 2010
MONDAY NEWS ROUND-UP
WOW, check this out! A woman pregnant with two babies at the same time but they are not twins. The American...Ask ReneJuly 19, 2010
SAY NO TO THE DRESS?
Good Enough Mother says YES! There is a line that just should not be crossed and while tooling around online, I...Ask ReneJuly 18, 2010
MOMS, FAMOUS AND OTHERWISE!
It was all moms all the time yesterday in Charleston! Good Enough Mother had a rousing debate on CNN HLN in...Ask ReneJuly 18, 2010
ASK RENE: CUSTODY CONCERNS
Dear Rene, I have been a follower of yours for a long time and I think you give great advice. My dilemma...Ask ReneJuly 16, 2010
SO LONG COLUMBIA, IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YA!
Good Enough Mother is headin’ out! After a whirlwind trip to the South Carolina capital, it’s time to head back to...TravelJuly 16, 2010
GOOD ENOUGH MOTHER TV ALERT!
Heads up everybody. Remember a week ago, I wrote a post called “Does Parenting Really Make You Unhappy?” It was...Rene on TVJuly 16, 2010
GOOD ENOUGH MOTHER BOOK SIGNING!
A big hello and howdy to all the GEMs in Columbia, South Carolina! I drove over from Charleston for a few...Bookings and SpeechesJuly 15, 2010
WHAT TYPE OF FAMILY ARE YOU?
Good Enough Mother had to smile this morning. See I was perusing USA TODAY when I came across this article ...Family & HomeJuly 15, 2010
KIDS ON TV: IS REALITY RIGHT?
Hitting the headlines today - a Pennsylvania state lawmaker is taking a closer look at TLC’s Kate Plus 8… Representative Thomas...Ask ReneJuly 14, 2010
WHEN I BECOME A PARENT, I WILL NEVER…
Good Enough Mother you must know does not think of herself as a celebrity. So imagine my delight when our friends...Ask ReneJuly 14, 2010
ASK RENE: I HATE MY DAUGHTER’S BOYFRIEND!
Hello Rene, Thanks so much for starting up the site – it’s great to have a mom out there who ‘gets’ it! So...Ask ReneJuly 14, 2010
- Hey everyone…I am okay! I had a “cardiac incident” today about 10am. I was standing in my living room talking to Nicole Sanders who had come over to drop off some stuff when all of a sudden it felt like I was being stabbed in the chest. On a scale of 1-10 it was a 20! I ended up at the ER and when I got here they immediately took multiple EKGs as I told my story 20 different times. As some of you know, I have been under extraordinary stress these last several months. The ER folks went to work right away.I did not have a heart attack but my father died from heart disease at a young age so I am at risk. Add to that being a post menopausal, black woman and S-T-R-E-S-S!! I am here at the hospital until Tuesday morning when I will have a stress test (they don’t do the test on the holiday so at least some folks will have a good time this Memorial Day 😑). In the meantime I am going to rest, something i have been neglecting.Let me say this to my women friends and followers: I didn’t want to go the the hospital because I was worried about family and expense and blah blah blah. You know what makes that stuff disappear? DYING! And I was not going out like that today!Please pay attention to your bodies. Get enough rest. Know your family history and live accordingly. If you are smoking or drinking too much, reign that shit in. If you are carrying around too much body fat, be real with yourself about it and get it under control. And please exercise regularly! TAKE YOUR HEALTH SERIOUSLY!I’m going to log off now and watch a movie and get a decent night’s rest as the poking and prodding starts early tomorrow. I’ll leave you with this picture of the bracelet the ER doc put on me.NEVER GIVE UP!#GoodEnoughMother #blackwomen #WomensHealth #blackwomenshealth
- I have a lot to say about what has happened to me over the last 48 hours. I will explain more later once I get my thoughts together.. but for now, this:If you are being reckless with your health.. if you have habits you know are shortening your life or will impact the quality of it, I have one question.. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Get your shit together.. NOW! #womenshealth #blackfitness #momlife
- A little older, a lot wiser (and grayer 😑). Loved seeing this funny lady ! ️ #naturalhair #teamnatural #grayhairtransition
- Oh hey! I realized I forgot to update you on my recent excitement. Okay it’s long but there is an important message here.Before I fill you in (and there will be a lesson for all of us )I am fine. Actually better than fine. And I want to thank you for the thoughts, prayers and well-wishes. As I told you over the weekend I had what doctors thought was a “cardiac incident.” It was not. You know what it was?Guesses anyone?MUSCLE SPASMS! But now we have perhaps the clearest picture of my heart ever. And you know what it said? No damage. No blockages!And you know what it said?My 56-year-old heart is healthy and STRONG!Now here’s the takeaway for me:My fitness has been lacking these last several months because of some other things in my life that I thought took precedence over that.As a result I thought my heart had suffered. It did not. Sure, my cardio is not as good as it could be but I can change that. But what I saw yesterday as result of this battery of tests was the picture of a woman who spent her life being physically active. And that paid off. From track and field and basketball in high school and college to making it a priority in my adult life more often than not, I saw a heart that was strong even WITH my risk factors.SO…. what does this mean for you? It means that if you are not, it’s time to move that ass! Walking is fine to start but you need more. You need to eat to fuel your body and leave these diets to the Internet. You need to act like this is the one life you have and protect that shit.I had thousands of people wishing me well when I was laid up. Here’s where the rubber meets the road. YOU🏽HAVE🏽TO🏽HELP🏽YOURSELF 🏽🏽🏽! A pill may be part of the equation but dammit, stop waiting for that to save you! You are responsible for a big part of this; stop saying you’re too busy or you can’t afford it or buying loose and bigger clothes or hiding behind your kids in photos or taking photos at ridiculously high angles. If this makes you uncomfortable, ask yourself why. Then stop fooling yourself and move that ass! #womenshealth #ebonyfitness #blackhealth #momlife #goodenoughmother
- Why It’s So Important to #ProtectYourRetirement
- People ask me all the time about how to write a book. I say start writing. Wrote in notebooks, on sheets of paper, on blogs etc… writ write write. Don’t worry about it being perfect, or even good.. use your notebook as a brain dump..carry it everywhere and write when you can! Sometimes they will just be notes or scribbles but get it down and flesh it out later.To Karen Moline thank you for teaching me and taking my words and turning them into my legacy ️ #GoodEnoughMother #writer #author #momlife #motherhood
- To the kid who tested my patience but expanded my love in ways I could never have imagined, happy 21st birthday @coleandblack ! The world is waiting for you! Love, your #GoodEnoughMother ️️#WeMadeIt #YouStillMadTho #momlife #BlackBoyJoy
- HAPPY FATHER’S DAY to the man who has left an indelible mark on so many! We ️you @buffparham !
- #Ad Check out the scenic views from atop the Dominick Hotel in Manhattan. Those sweeping views provided the best backdrop for women to learn more about the unique challenges they face in retirement and how setting up a “paycheck” in retirement can help. Over on the blog, more about how connections and confessions inspired hope for a healthy retirement with protected lifetime income. Link in bio . #ProtectYourRetirement #Prudential
- I’ve always felt at home near the ocean. #WaterBaby #Aquarius #GoodEnoughMother #nodyenolye