I Have A Confession To Make…

I’ve said before that you guys are like therapy to me and because of that, it’s time for me to come clean about something. I haven’t been feeling well lately, working too hard, not getting enough exercise, drinking too much of my favorite libation and not paying attention to my diet. Slowly, my clothes got as tight as my time. So what did I do?  Bought bigger clothes, duh.

But I had a “Come to Jesus” moment today; actually it’s been in the works for a while. I feel like crap. I never have enough energy anymore and more troubling than that is the feeling that my heart is going to beat out of my chest (dear stress: thanks for that).  I’m tired of taking, what I call “strategic pictures” and I just want to feel better, both physically and about myself.

I have approached this sort of halfhearted the last year or so with every excuse in the book; too busy, too tired, too much for everyone else but no more. But you know what one of the biggest problems has been? Accountability. I tried to do it by myself, with no oversight and failed; no one was there to hold my feet to the flames when I didn’t do what I said I was going to do. That changes right now.

I want to share this with you because you are family and I need your support. I was always a thin, athletic person; I never had a weight problem and frankly I’m embarrassed I let myself get here. I am also turning 50 in a few months and running a business and family, along with fluctuating hormones has not helped the cause. But we’re jumping into the driver’s seat right now so here’s my plan:

LOSE WEIGHT: I plan to lose 20 pounds by the end of the year. That is 1 pound a week. I’m not going to publish my starting weight or my end goal, nor am I going to publish pictures I take of myself,  just yet anyway (embarrassed, remember).

HOW I WILL DO IT:  Everyone who’s successfully lost weight knows it takes the two-pronged approach of diet and exercise.

-Diet: I have re-activated my Loseit.com account and will be writing down EVERYTHING I eat and drink. I will weigh myself at the end of each week and publish those results.

-Exercise: Fitting this in is going to be tough but necessary. I walk my darling Olivia but she’s not going to keep me from getting flabby. I’ll add weights and more intense cardio and yes, I will tell you what I do.

I will Instagram and share on my Facebook page, some of my meals and tweet some of the tips and tricks I pick up along the way. By the way,  lunch today was grilled turkey burger, green beans, grapes and tomatoes. Calories? 240.

On December 30th, 2012, I will reveal my weight, what I started at, what it is on that date  and what my plan is for maintenance. One of the things that has become abundantly clear to me is that this is not something I’m going to be able to do in the short-term, only to return to the way I’m eating/living now. This has to be a lifestyle change.

Now, if you would like to join with me, I would love to have you. According to Loseit.com, you’re more successful if you have at least 3 friends with you so if you don’t do it for you, do it for me; I beg of you!

Weigh in #2 comes next Saturday and the goal is to be 1 pound lighter than I am this week.

Wish me luck!

Who wants to play along? If you do, sign up for Loseit.com and start following me!

UPDATE! Come join our 12/3012 or Bust Facebook page and don’t forget to follow me on Twitter too… #123012orbust

1. Ellen G

July 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

We should meet at the gym someday. I’m feeling the flab myself these days, and know that diet is not enough. In fact, I eat better when I’m working out.

July 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

@Ellen: YES! Enough excuses.. I can’t believe how it snuck up on me.. booo..

3. The Working Wife

July 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Renee, I applaud you. You hit the nail on the head when you said it’s about accountability. Good luck…I’m excited for you.

4. The Working Wife

July 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

**my apologies**. I misspelled your name in my previous post.

July 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

@The Working Wife: No worries.. so yes, hold me accountable!

6. Shanell

July 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Rene, I’ve always loved you, your personality, your spirit…it increased with this confession…since I was just released from the ER a couple hrs ago, observing my excessive weight gain and high blood pressure, I will definitely join you. Thank you foot being honest, open and candid…I thought I was alone…this will save lives….much success and continued blessings

July 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm

@Shanell: Oh dear.. yes, please come, please come along! I think we’re going to have to name this 12/30/12 or bust since that’s the date of the final weigh-in and when I plan to be 20 pounds lighter. Come join loseit.com and follow me; we will encourage each other. Here’s to good health!

8. Deon Smith

July 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Ill be cheering you on behind the scenes! You can do this for SURE!

July 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

@Deon: Thanks honey.. and thanks for the pep talk 🙂

10. Kathy

July 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Ok…I’m in! I am on myfitnesspal. I’ll join yours too. Let’s start moving when we get home!

11. Wanda T.

July 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hi Rene,

I feel your pain!!! At the ripe, young age of 44, I too am embarking on a weightloss journey. My nieces (Felicia and Stephanie) and I are starting a 90-day challenge on Monday (07/23). Whoever loses the most weight gets treated to a day at the spa. I have 60 ell bees to lose and I WILL LOSE IT BY THE END OF FEB 2013!!!

12. Heather Sabadasz

July 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hey Rene! Good luck on your weight loss journey…I had my second baby 6 months ago and still have about 15lbs hanging on…after my first it went away on its own…I have excuse after excuse of why I haven’t lost the weight and the reality is…I’m lazy…I eat like crap…and don’t make the time for me…so I will be trying to lose my weight with you!!!

13. Margit

July 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I need to do this too. Thanks for the inspiration, and for trusting in us to share your journey. I’ll hop on the “lose it” train. I only want to lose 10-15 lbs. Maybe only 10, but tighten everything up. I’ve really neglected my strength training and core the past couple of months. I’ve been traveling every weekend since Memorial Day for my daughters’ softball teams which means lots of eating out, and losing my Sunday 12 mile hike/run. I must get back on track, and quit having an affair with Ben&Jerry. Accountability really is key. I used to journal via email with a girlfriend in Boulder. We would email each other at the end of the day with EVERYTHING we ate that day, our workout, and weekly weigh in on Wednesdays. I have all those emails in a binder, and it’s fun to see how long it took to lose the weight (30 pounds.) There were times I didn’t want to get up at 4:45am to workout, but the thought of admitting to Britt that I skipped a workout made me drag my butt out of bed. It also kept me from eating “just a handful” (or 2 or 3…) of goldfish, etc. I just had dinner with her during her recent trip to CA, and we talked about doing that again. I’m going to email her right now thanks to you. Good luck on your journey. I look forward to going along for the ride. Just remember to always have a plan…what exactly will your workout for tomorrow be? Are you getting the most from social workouts? Do you have healthy snacks at the ready for at home and on the go? I used to keep bags of 11 raw almonds in my glove box. I also love the Trader Joe’s presliced apples. Another favorite is Propel packets to add to bottled water when I need something other than more water. You’re going to rock this Rene!

14. Doyle

July 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

You got my support. I too am working to get back in shape.

15. Irene

July 21, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I cannot tell a lie….I thought I was looking in the mirror when I saw this post of yours. I recently in the past year lost 30 lbs, was going to the gym, the whole nine yards….that was then…..

this is now….I can eat more oreo cooooookies then Cookie monster, more fast food than Ronald Mcdonald himself & I do all that while working and not taking no time to exercise anything but my mouth (in with the food)

Good Luck getting back on track—hey we never did suscribe to anything but Good enough around here so if we cannot come to our fav blog and be honest where can we?

Hugs GEM!

16. Joyveline

July 22, 2012 at 2:22 am

Rene u do tell it like it is. I love u and ur honest spirit. I got just about a month start on u but yes I am all in for getting healthy. Ur lunch look so good. lol

17. Es Clapp

July 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Wishing you much luck Rene but I doubt you will need it with the amount of determination you have. No matter what your weight, I love you all the same.