Hey guys, our little juggernaut continues to grow with the addition of another columnist. You met Ashley Taylor a few weeks ago here, which was just a few weeks after I met her here. Anyway, she totally subscribes to our philosophy and will bring another voice to the GEMpire, as she, like Ella, has little ones. So without further adieu, please welcome Ashley who’ll be making an appearance here monthly.
Take it away, Ashley!
I found myself inspired recently reading Nora Ephron’s lists of what she would and would not miss when she was gone. I remember Nora Ephron with so much admiration because of her unique ability to inspire women across generations with her writing. Her lists made me think long and hard about what I would find myself wishing I could have back again if I were gone.
I would miss…
1) The pure joy that emanates from my girls when they laugh together.
2) Laying in bed at night with my older daughter sharing stories and hearing her reveal her deepest feelings.
3) The way that my younger daughter expresses her thoughts with such passion and enthusiasm.
4) The shared history with my sister, the way that we can talk about our lives together and just know the other person totally gets it.
5) My husband, I would miss that we would never again stand in our kitchen talking about our days and I would miss never again remembering the moments our daughters were born with the only other person who knew exactly what it felt like.
6) Good girlfriends and time spent together having conversations about everything from marriage and motherhood to sex and politics, because all the conversations are validating, real and honest.
7) Movie previews, as I love nothing more than the moment the screen gets dark, and I get to watch and anticipate all the movies I can’t wait to see.
8) Laughing, the kind that leaves you with tears streaming down your face and your sides hurting.
And then there are these.. Things I would not miss…
1) Paying bills and balancing the checkbook.
2) The feeling at the end of the day when I know that I have hurt my children with my words or my tone.
3) Folding and putting away laundry.
4) Hormones, particularly the way they make me feel as if I am out of control, know that I am and still am unable to stop it.
5) Clutter and the feeling that there is nowhere to put it all.
6) The sound of motorcycles, particularly outside my house when my children are sleeping.
7) People who are fake and unwilling to admit when life is not all that and a bag of chips.
8) Feeling guilty every time I eat candy because I know my jeans will be hard to zip the next day.
Reflecting on these things made me realize that perhaps it is a good exercise for everyone to do, periodically, as a way to remind ourselves about what is really important and what really is not.
So, tell me, GEM nation, if you were making a list of what you would miss the most or what you would be more than happy never to think about again, what would be on it? Share in the comments below.
More from GEM:
Ashley is a stay-at-home mom of two daughters, Emma (8) and Abby (4). She is an occasional nurse and married to Robert (41). Ashley continues to “tell it like it is” on her blog The Dose Of Reality. Follow her on Twitter @ashleytaylor76