5 Conversations You MUST Have With Your Kid… Including THIS ONE! (VIDEO)

You couldn’t wait to bring that little bundle home from the hospital, could you? Then you couldn’t WAIT until they said their first word… oh what a glorious day that would be, when they could speak. Now the conversations, though no less important, are very different and in some cases, tough to have. But shirking our responsibility by not having them is just not good parenting. We must talk about those tough topics, ask questions, give guidance and LISTEN!

So here’s a look at a few of the talks you should be having with your kids, early and often. Of course there are others like the future, their dreams, goals and aspirations to add in there too.

Watch the video and them let me know.. do you agree with what I said about the S-E-X talk? When did you first broach the subject? Has it gotten easier to talk about it? What about the other topics? And what do you most want to know about your kid that they seem to be reluctant to share?

Lemme hear ya!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cVk1L5hGUA[/youtube]

More from GEM:

The GEM Debate: The Chick-fil-A Firestorm: What’s The Beef?

Where In The World Is Good Enough Mother Going? BlogHer ’12 Baby!

Ask Rene: How Do We Help Our Screw-Off Friend?

I’m thrilled to be partnering with Hallmark in 2012 for its “Life Is A Special Occasion” campaign. Of course, the characters in my rantings are real and the opinions are all my own.

1. Liz

July 30, 2012 at 8:19 am

HAH! LOVE! Very sound advice, oh and I want to move into your closet…I mean…working office. I’d show you mine, but it would mean wiping off the kitchen table and then a shower. You understand, right? RIGHT? Riiiiiight.

2. Natalie P.

July 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

This is an awesome little tidbit! Listening is so important, as is not being afraid to talk. My little one is only 10 months old, but I’ve already started ‘planning’ when and how I’d approach the sex and babies talk. I got my first(and sadly, only) real talk at the age of 7, and, though I love my mother to death, pulling out the encyclopedia to the “Reproduction” page was probably not the best way to go about it.

3. Melisa Wells

July 30, 2012 at 8:25 am

This is one of the cutest videos I have ever seen, and solid advice, too. Totally agree that the “sex talk” is a series, and nothing we should be scared of.

Oh, and I’d love a working office like that!

4. thedoseofreality

July 30, 2012 at 9:00 am

LOVE this. Everything you said was so right on target, especially about really, truly listening to them. I want a follow-up to this, though…I am about to start the whole S-E-X talk with my 8 year-old daughter for the first time, and I break out into a cold sweat just thinking about it. I would love some specific tips for how to start the process at this age!! 😉

July 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

@Ashley: Okay, so the first thing is I think you have to get comfortable with talking about it. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself.. and these conversations and really easy if you just sort of start talking.. talk about what you see, what you’ve heard, what you’ve read and then ask questions. also in the context of what you believe. I remember when C and C were little we drove by a front yard in our neighborhood. There was a little baby laying on a blanket out under a tree (his mother had popped inside for a moment). I said to the kids, “Look at that cute baby.” Cole, who must have been about 3 at the time, asked, “How did that baby get there?” Driving along I went into the whole long discussion about sex; mommy and daddy love each other and a seed is planted and blah blah blah. At the end I said, ” Do you have any questions and he said, Yes, how did that baby get under the tree??” The point is be clear on what they’re asking and give them that. But the most you talk about it, the easier it gets; I promise. I just had to have a little convo with my 14 year old son.. and it was matter of fact and he was embarrassed and we laughed but I told him we had to talk about it. There will be more too. It gets easier the more you do it.. but you gotta do it.. 🙂

6. Pontificating Brother

July 30, 2012 at 10:58 am

Our house is full of open dialogue. We don’t hold back conversations regarding sex or for that matter anything. Our kids have heard us preach, discuss, laugh, and even dissect relationships. What healthy ones look like and what unhealthy ones look like. What sex is meant to be and how it relates to marriage and what happens when you deal with sex outside of the marriage. We try to be a consistent example of what they should aspire to be, but we are under no illusion that they won’t be tempted or misled by others that provide bad information. We can only pray that our teaching and dialogue will provide them with the tools and foundation to deal with these things when outside of our home.

7. RookieMom Heather

August 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Thanks Rene, I think I can, I think I can…

8. Debbie Mitchell

March 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Love this video! I will be sharing it.