The GEM Debate: How Would You Feel If Your Man Did THIS?

Move over ladies, there’s someone in the waxing room next to you with a really.. deep… voice. Paying homage to Austin Powers here when I say, that’s because, ” He’s a man, baby!”

This story is right out of the land of Austin Powers too. It seems that men are taking a little more care in how they look but it’s more than cologne and a close shave. According to this piece in the Daily Mail, traffic by men is up 66% in some salons in Britain.  So what’s going on and more importantly, what are they having done?

According to the story, haircuts are the most requested service, followed closely by massage, hair removal and hair color. The headline of the piece asks, “Are men vainer than women?”

Maybe. Maybe not. But my take is it’s about damn time. I have no problem with a man cutting, coloring, and REMOVING extraneous hair, if that makes him feel better. Bonus if I don’t have to see a wig growing out of his ears, neck or back. Heck, I’m even okay with a little micro-dermabrasion and Botox, if he so chooses. Shouldn’t we all want to look our best?

I don’t think being a man means you have to be at the mercy of gravity and nature, does it? Men work out to feel and look better. They get braces and pay attention to their attire, isn’t this an extension of that?

So be gone, uni-brow, bye-bye back hair, feel free to cut, dye and wax away guys. You’ll get no argument from Good Enough Mother.

Okay, time to weigh in. Men, do you dye your hair or wax your brows (or anything else for that matter)?  And women, would you have a problem if your man did any of that or a bigger problem is he didn’t?

Lemme hear ya!

More from GEM:

Anthony Weiner: Is a Sex Text Cheating?

Wealthy Parents: 5 Ways NOT To Raise A Spoiled Brat

Is Good Sex A Duty In A Relationship

1. Ms. Cookie

May 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hey Ms. Rene! 1 word: METROSEXUAL. This the pop culture term for the men that believe in taking care of themselves with mani-pedis, waxes, massages, etc! I have no issues with it and I can respect a man who wants to pamper himself. Just don’t expect me to pay for yours and mine!

2. Jim Walker

May 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hey, in addition to haircuts and the occasional color, I’ve been shaving and trimming my body hair (yes everywhere), since I was 16. I do it because I feel it shows off the hard earned muscle in the gym and because I’m a gay man. Even staight men are learning that ladies don’t want to have to go searching through the forrest to find the tree? Know what I mean? LOL. I think every boy should be given a manual at 18 detailing how to keep that body hair (especially on the back) under control!

3. Deon Smith

May 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

In my personal opinion some men (gay or straight) go overboard with this. There are some who prefer men to look and smell like MEN. DAVID BECKHAM, for example is an attractive guy, but if I were a woman id feel like I was with another woman because he is too “pretty”. Despite my opinion, this is a matter of preference. Some men realize that they work hard and want the relaxation of being pampered and groomed. Also I can say from personal experience (I workout regularly 5 days a week to be healthy and maintain my appearance) that for us men when we look good, we feel good. Words cannot describe that confidence of being at peace with your reflection. Your attitude changes, your walk changes, even the manner in which you speak changes. Many feel that they are deserving of that pleasure, so i cant knock it. So in closing i guess I can say to each their own…(Thats my take).

4. Kelly M.

May 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’ve had the whole body waxed before. Ok ok… was not just once several times. Vanity is painful. I don’t wax EVERYTHING anymore, but Everything is still trimmed and/or shaved! I do feel a mental difference and sexual confidence when its done. Plus it makes the muscles look bigger.

5. Kelly M.

May 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

And for the to be confused… I’m a dude.

6. Kelly M.

May 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Plus trees look bigger when the brush is cleared. (not that I have a problem there.) lol

7. Deon Smith

May 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

@K LMAO!

8. Dave M

May 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I have no problem if a guy wants to go in and have this all done. I don’t do it (though I don’t have back hair, so I’m up a notch there, I suppose) and probably won’t. I stay clean, shaven, hair trimmed, all of it. In my 20s and 30s people thought I’d dyed my hair to add grey to it – I had a streak on the right side. I was floored anybody would ask – moreso when I found out so many did it.
    But I just can’t bring myself to being baby-smooth and over-trimmed. I know it’s my Midwestern upbringing, but even my wife said she liked me this way, thought of me as more masculine. Plus, it was good for the best Bond – Sean Connery – so I can go with it. It’s not about having hair – it’s about looking your best. If that’s like Jim, because it’s part of who he is, then fine. But it’s left to yours (and your significant other’s, I suppose) discretion.

I earned the grey hairs, have the eye lines from laughing and smiling. I may look older than 41, or not. But one day a young woman stopped me on the street and said “you know, I love your hair. It’s one thing to go grey . . . but yours is really cool . . .” I never saw her again, but it confirmed I shouldn’t dye it.
    As for the rest…my wife always told me she liked that I was a little harder and she was a little softer. It made for a good match. I still feel that way.

9. Amanda

May 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Okay the comments are cracking me up. My Dearly Beloved keeps himself trimmed, prefers it, and I don’t give two hoots one way or the other. If he wants to shave everything from head to toe, or have it waxed, that’s *his* choice. I’ll love him either way. The only thing I’ll put my foot down about is if he decided to saunter into a salon and have someone do most of the removal and detailing for him because he’s been keeping me on a V E R Y tight budget when it comes to the vanity things I prefer–color, cut, nails. If I can’t have someone else upkeep me, he can’t have someone else upkeep him. (So, if you’re reading this hubby, we could always try negotiating a budget…)

May 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yeah… no.

I get my hair cut, trim my moustache and beard, and do a bit of weed wacking when necessary… but it would take at least three BIG men to wax any part of my anatomy, and if we’re talking below the belt, you’d better bring a forth.

11. Dave M

May 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Ha! I’m going with Will on this one!

12. D.Marie

May 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

A little man-scaping is ok..but I like my man to be a man. No trips to the salon, no waxing or dying and such..geeez! Lol And please don’t wash away my man’s pheromone..that is what helped attract me.

May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I hear ya, Will. I say to each his own. Don’t forget the feet, tho. Rough feet and long toenails can actually hurt your mate. I wonder why (some) men don’t realize how disgusting their big, hanging-over-their-belt bellies are? And why some think cleanliness below the belt is necessary for women but not for themselves.