Our Story Begins: 365 Days….(VIDEO)

Exactly one year ago, I lost the love of my life, my very best friend, my wife, Andrea Andrews Manoucheri.  We lost so very much that, by all accounts, this could have been the year everything fell apart. Instead, it became the year our story began.  We have not lost the feeling of loss, the hurt of missing her so very much.  What we did learn, though, was that we are far better together than we ever are apart.

The kids and I did this video, with the pictures and words made by our own hands. It’s purposely low-tech.  It’s meant to show you how we scratched our way up day by day on our own.  We could have done a bigger, fancier, more produced version, but that’s just not us.

The one thing that’s not low tech is the song. When I started dating Andrea, she playfully said to me, “Write me a song!” When I looked at her flabbergasted, she simply said, “You’re a musician, they write songs for their girlfriends all the time. Don’t I rate a song?!” She was kidding, being silly and pushing my buttons with a mischievous grin. Two days later I played the song for her. While my brother and I recorded it for a previous incarnation of our band and it got minimal airplay years ago in the Midwest, I never felt like I’d gotten the song right, not really. So when I started this project, as hard as it was to do, I wanted to get it right.  She deserved so much better. I changed the lyrics to match where we are today.

I miss her more than you can possibly imagine. It’s literally like a piece of myself, the part of my soul intertwined with hers, was ripped away. leaving a wound never heals. She wasn’t just my wife.  She was my love, my life, and my best friend.

It’s like she came here long enough to give me what I needed then left, abruptly. But I hear my kids laugh together and the timbre of their giggles is her laugh. The smiles they have radiate their Mom.

I had it good and perfect for a while. It’s a hard life to come back down with the rest of the mortals. Particularly when she helped me learn to fly up with the angels.

We miss you, my love.

Fly on, my sweet angel.

More from Dave:

You Say You Want A Resolution

The Decisions That Break You In Two

Life Lessons: Dave Manoucheri

Dave Manoucheri is a writer and journalist based in Sacramento, California.  A father of four, two daughters and twin sons, his blog, Our Story Begins is a chronicle of their daily life after the loss of his wife Andrea, in March of 2011. Follow him on Twitter @InvProducerMan.

March 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

Dave:
    Please know how much I, and I’m sure all of GEM Nation, appreciate your candor and honesty during this time. Know that, though you are far, we’re all thinking of you, Abbi, Hannah, Sam and Noah. XO

2. Dawn B

March 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

That video was so amazing!! Bless you and your kids and I am sure I dont have to tell you that she is smiling on you from wherever she is.

3. Ella (the assistant)

March 25, 2012 at 9:14 am

Dave, having just lost my mom I can imagine how this last year has been, but only imagine. My heart goes out and my prayers go up for you and the family. Thanks for sharing.

4. S. James

April 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Dave,

Thank you. Thank you for sharing this and for highlighting the power of the word, AGAIN. There are times we live through death and tunnel through difficult and unsteady times until we find our again, and then we start.

5. juliana

May 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

I was looking for information about divorce and hoping from one link to another I found out about your story .And I have to admit I have no words because the little movie is so powerful and overwhelming .Life was so good to you and also so cruel it gave you everything and for some reason took it back from you .Have faith in you and in your amazing family and consider yourself lucky because you met true love .all the best for the future and as you said Andrea is there in smiles and looks on your children’s faces and attitudes.

6. Dave Manoucheri

May 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Juliana – thank you so much, I am humbled that you feel the video is so powerful. I haven’t watched it in some time…we’ve now hit 3 years since losing my wife and we have made a different video each year. I hope you found the information you’ve been seeking – I know GEM is a rich resource for all types of parents and the like.
    If you’re interested there are two other videos, each on the anniversary of my wife’s passing, that were posted here on March 26th of each year. Thank you for reading and watching! DM