Good Christian B*tches; Belles Or Blasphemy?

That adorable actress Kristin Chenoweth and a group of talented writers and actors have found themselves in the middle of a swirling spiritual storm with their new show GCB. Its family friend title is Good Christian Belles but it’s based on the book Good Christian B*tches by Kim Gatlin. If you haven’t seen it yet, surely you’ve heard about it, with everyone from the likes of the One Million Moms and churches around the country to presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich blasting it both barrels.

Why? Glad you asked..

The show’s premise is about a group of women who attended high school together. One of them, the mean girl of the group, moved away and when she comes back under less than ideal circumstances and is forced to live with her mother, the Holy hijinks ensure.

But is this really worth getting that worked up over? This weekend, while watching and tweeting about the show (yep, I am a fan) I came across this piece, written by David Kenney, the Senior pastor at Walden Community Church in Montgomery, Texas.

Pastor Kenney makes some very valid points that other groups (those protesting the loudest?) seem to have overlooked. As he points out the show is not making fun of ALL Christians, but a specific type and you know who they are; the ones who know The Word, say they love The Word but don’t live The Word.

Do GCB’s exist? Abso-freakin-lutley! Is this show a caricature of those ladies? Of course it is….as are ALL TV shows. Because, (and let’s all say it together) “It’s television!” Do you think television caricatures the modern family, gays, actors, talk show hosts, news anchors, activists, politicians and cat lovers? Yes! It’s entertainment, it’s parody, we love to laugh at the distorted “truth” of the world around us.

I can tell you as a former news anchor, it kills me to see the industry portrayed on TV. I can also say with a fair degree of certainty that none of my gay friends look, act, squeal and carry on the way they do on the small screen. You see it’s called SATIRE people, it’s supposed to be over the top. It has to be to garner much attention.

Pastor Kenney does take some exception with the show, namely the raunchy parts and producers are pushing that envelope pretty hard. But personally I think his candor and ability to laugh at what’s being portrayed, is more inviting and than those who get righteously indignant then take their ball, bat and Bible and run home.  And honestly, it does make me wonder why a show about the do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do set would make them so uncomfortable.

What do you think? Have you seen the show? Thoughts?  Is it blasphemy or just Hollywood doing what it does best?

More from GEM

Life Lessons Andrea Denney

The Anger And Ignorance Of Strangers

My Boyfriend Always Sides With His Mother Over Me

1. Sandy Seale

March 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I will begin by saying I am a Christian but don’t wear it on my sleeve but hopefully show it in my actions. I’m not a “preacher” type. But I also believe the Good Lord has a sense of humor or most of us wouldn’t be here LOL If we (mankind in general…race, creed, sex, etc.) can’t laugh at ourselves & others in a good-natured way, then life would be very boring. I kind of believe in the adage “me thinks thou doest proest too much”. I agree with all the above. If you’re not truly walking the walk but only talking the talk….i.e. hypocite….then please turn the channel. And don’t forget……glass houses 🙂

2. Regina

March 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I have not watched the show (my television dance card, and DVR allotted space is full) but I do know the premise of the show. But as with ANY show if it is funny to you than laugh, if it offends you than turn. But if it depicts AND offends you maybe you should do some lifestyle changing *just saying* !

3. Christopher Parish

March 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I also read the article written by the pastor. My first thoughts were those accents were offensive. I was born and raised in Dallas. So, I can tell you for a fact, that not everyone in Dallas has an accent. But as you pointed out Rene, this is satire. So, I’ve learned to accept it, and it actually no longer bothers me. There is SOME truth to what the show is portraying. I can testify to the fact that there are some people (even in my own family) who would lead you to believe that they are Christians, but if you look behind their closed doors, you will see them cheating on their spouse, stealing, etc… I like the fact that it is exposing what I’ve (and the rest of the world) known for a long time. No one is perfect, and those that are religious shouldn’t be the first ones to throw stones. And is it just me, or does Cricket know that Blake is gay? And that bed! OMG I’ve never seen a bed that big before.

4. Karen

March 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I think the show is hilarious. I saw it for the first time last night. In an ironic twist many non believers are having a seed planted every time one of the characters quotes a verse from the Bible. It is not a blasphemous show. The way the Southern ladies are portrayed is funny. It reminds me of cliques at church from when I was in High School. Like Sandy said God has a sense of humor. If you don’t like it turn it off. Making a big deal about it only draws more attention to the show which makes the networks happy. Lighten up and live a little.

5. Katie

March 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love it! And most people don’t even know what the word satire means so I feel like that’s problem number one. I know I had a heck of a time teaching the concept to high school students… And I love the comment about the accents. My husband and I lived in Las Vegas for 5 years and not much on the show looks like actual Vegas – including the weather – why does it seem like it rains every episode?! I rarely rains in the desert! Ha!

6. Jana in FORT WORTH, Tx

March 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Not only do I find it hilarious because it’s fun and ridiculous, I find it funny because it’s so-freaking-true!!! I won’t even go into my perception of the Dallas vs. Fort Worth stuff that’s been touched on in the show already. You know the deal with that, Rene. I don’t know about other parts of the world but I can say with 100% certainty that the people running around using the scripture and their Christianity as cover/justification for petty meanness, judgement and cattiness **absolutely ** exists around here. Anyone who denies it has their head in the sand. And, as you said, it’s SATIRE. So, the thought of whether it or any other TV show is blasphemous just doesn’t matter to me. I can turn it off if I don’t like it (which I certainly will not!) Plus, there are a heck of a lot of other shows that cross lines that are by FAR more offensive than this one even comes close to crossing. Folks need to get a grip and enjoy some comedy!

7. Jazzbdg

March 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love this show. I just recently moved to Dallas, and yes I have met these women, people, Christians. And I must say I’m so sick and apauld at reality TV. This show makes me laugh and still think. I’m not looking to go to church or be taught my faith. I want to laugh, see the fashion, and chill. I love it. Did you see the new Persian reality show….SHAHS OF SUNSET on Bravo! Too much. A zero. No a negative 0.

8. sunshyne

March 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm

i love the show cant wait until the next episode to see what the good christian bells are up to….lol what gets me is they are using the Lords name they are quoting bible verses and where to find them in the good book i think it is awesome..go hollywood…you got me hooked.

9. Tiffany T

March 13, 2012 at 1:18 am

As long as there aren’t any pointed offenses toward religion or religious people, I say, “What’s the problem?” Like was mentioned earlier, you either watch it & laugh or you turn off the show.

Being a member of a minority religion, I am very used to the satire & enjoy it quite a bit. You can definitely tell when people are just trying to get a laugh & when they are trying to be offensive. I haven’t seen the show, but from what I’ve heard/read about it, it doesn’t sound like it’s out to be harmful.

Lighten up! 🙂

10. Joyceline

March 13, 2012 at 2:02 am

GCB is more than blastdemy it a abomination. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,changed d glory of d uncorruptible into an image made like to corruptible man. Somethings r inexcuable. But only God can judge. My God is lonsuffering.

11. John

March 21, 2012 at 12:11 am

Replace the title with “Muslim” and I assure you that that show would never be aired.