Breaking News! Good Enough Mother Book Project!

Good Enough Mother® - "On TV" Rene

It’s been a pretty crazy weekend around these parts and I have one more little bit of news. I’m gonna be typing until the tips of my fingers bleed because, along with the writing for TLC’s Parentables and the Hallmark collaboration, I’ve been approached by a well-known publisher to write a second book. It has to do with parenting and technology, two things I love and since you’re reading this here, you probably love them too (well, most of the time, anyway).

I’m collaborating with the great writer I worked with for my first book and told her I’d throw out some questions to get your take on a few of these things. If you’d like to go more in depth with your answers, you can email me at rene@goodenoughmother.com. Ready?

1. How has technology transformed your parenting? Give me examples. Do you think it’s hindered more than it’s helped?
  2. How comfortable are you with your own use of technology? What was your biggest hurdle or hardest thing to learn?
  3. What’s been the best experience from embracing your digital life? Do you have a success story regarding a job and/or a transformation and technology?
  4. How much social media do you use? Do you keep track of your kid’s online behavior? If so, how? (Please tell me how old your kids are)

Those are just a few of the questions I’d love to hear from you on. Like I said, if you want to go in depth or want to add something I didn’t ask, go ahead and email me. Thanks in advance!

1. Dr. Bisa

January 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

Congratulations!!! Great news! Wishing you even more success. Well-deserved!

2. Judi

January 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

Ugh…any suggestions on what to do about teen online addiction? Kids game in groups, with one kid having a server, and allowing others to access. Group of us have called a moratorium for the kids until after midterms…but, there are many workarounds…and just saying NO hasn’t worked (ninth grader). Taking the computer away is one option, but not a good one…as so much classwork, not to mention online study activities/tests/quizzes require the computer…and I can’t stand over him watching if he is really studying or pretending to study but gaming….. it is a MAC…which seems to limit some of the security/lockdown software you can buy.

3. Lashell

January 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Excellent, Ms. Rene!! That’s amazing news!! What about cyberbullying?

January 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Well, I missed all the techno hooey and I am so thankful for that. What I have found out is that there is so much false info out there that people – even teachers – are digesting as truth. Now you have young parents who don’t read books. BOOKS, people. Re tech; I like to read JAMA (medical journal) once in a while. But guess what? A doctor lauds a new drug but check up on him, you find he is a “consultant” for that drug company, for maxi bucks of course. That’s all I have to offer.

Rene, you know I’m wishing you much success.

5. Nicole

January 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Judi you can take the computer away. Move it to a place in the house where you can watch ie kitchen, den. Monitor his progress when homework is over computer is turned off. You are the parent and you hold the power.

6. Nicole

January 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Congrats. I will thnk of my answers and get back to you.

7. My

January 24, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m really disappointed in your site. I happen to be a single WHITE mother who believes in being a “good enough mother” so I was very excited to see your site. I guess it doesn’t apply to me since I’m not black. You are certainly doing your part to promote racial differences and divisions among mothers and children.

January 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

@Skyefox: Um, what does this have to do with this story? Honestly it doesn’t sound like ME promoting racial differences. Listen, thanks for stopping by but if this is your cup of tea, please don’t torture yourself with a return visit. It’s a big internet out there; I’m sure you can find something more to your liking.

9. Reallygirl?

January 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

@Skyefox- what in the world are you talking about? You are a “bored enough mother” with nothing more to do than pick non-existent fights on blogs you don’t have to read.

10. TechyDad

January 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

@My,

Where did you see Rene say that only black mothers could be GEMs? Is it because the cartoon characters above (and below) are black? You do realize those are Rene in cartoon form, right? Even looking through the people in the slider reveals a variety of skin tones. I’ve never once read Rene say anything even close to “you can’t be a GEM if you aren’t black.” In fact, my wife is a GEM fan and she’s white. Heck, I’m a GEM fan and I’m not only white but a guy! (I’m a “Good Enough Father.”)

11. Ella Rucker

January 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

Wow. And this wasn’t even a debate. Sorry to lose a reader especially when they point was so far from valid.

12. Arnebya

January 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Technology has transformed the way I parent in that my youngest watches way more TV/movies than either of his older sisters did. At 2, he can work the iPhone, change movies in the dvd player or cd rom, change stations on the radio, work the TV remote. It is helpful when I need to finish dinner and he’s literally hanging on my leg to be able to say go turn on a movie. I have guilt for having to do so, though, so I consider this aspect both a hindrance and a help. For the girls, there is no TV during the week (a double standard for sure b/c the boy watches daily (refer to leg hanging on mentioned above)). They can use the computer every other day unless it’s for homework. If the need arises for computer use for homework on a day they aren’t allowed to use the computer, it has to be used and turned off. On the days they are allowed to use it, they have 30 minutes apiece and the first 10 have to be educational. The remaining 20 cannot be the iCarly they missed over the weekend b/c that defeats the purpose of no TV during the week.

We gave in and bought both DSIs and iPods, something we’d initially said would never happen. But, both are so relegated, they probably forget they have them. So, technology has helped transform my parenting by making me parent MORE (the rules, etc.)

I’m comfortable with advances/changes in technology. I try to stay aware of updates to software/programs I use, but it’s not always easy. The hardest thing for me right now is wanting to redesign my website but not knowing code (and not having $5K to pay someone to do it for me).

I have a Facebook personal page and a fan page. I use Twitter and YouTube (a bit), LinkedIn, and just started a Pinterest account (not sure how interested I really am in continuing that, though). My girls are 11 and 8 and yes, we track their behavior. We have the password to the oldest’s email account and she knows we can and will check it randomly (not to spy, but to make sure she is conducting herself appropriately and not being preyed upon). When I think of it, we actually have passwords to all of their online activity: doll dress up sites, clubs, etc. We talk to them incessantly about online behavior, how your online persona should be your offline persona; don’t hide behind the computer, be yourself no matter what.

There are sites we’ve said no to, ones that require a person to be 13. My daughter actually suggested I simply adjust her age. Um, no. Granted, I did so for her to have an email account (which I do regret), but online sites that have adult content? Not happening. I think communication is key in every aspect of parenting, not just how technology is affecting how we parent, how our children conduct themselves.

Sorry to use up so much space (and I fear I may have started rambling or drifted off topic a few times).

13. Arnebya

January 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Wow. Regulated. The damn electronics are regulated, not relegated. Going too fast, sorry.

14. Andee Z.

January 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Have you thought about writing about moms that are addicted to technology? I (new year’s resolution) have tried to unplug when the kids are home from school. If I’m online, I find myself caring more about my Facebook relationships then I do about my own offspring.

For a stay at home mom, the internet can be a portal to the “outside world”. But sometimes, casually checking email can lead to forgetting to put dinner in the oven. I’d be curious as to how other women handle the technology rule for themselves.