The GEM Debate: Schweddy Balls: Are You Offended?

Ah yes, if it weren’t for things like this, what ever would we talk about?

One Million Moms, a group affiliated with the American Family Association has called for a boycott of Ben and Jerry’s just announced ice cream flavor, Schweddy Balls. The newest delicacy is named after a 1998, Saturday Night Live skit featuring Alec Baldwin named Pete Schweddy as a baker who proclaims, “No one can resist our Schweddy balls.”

To be honest, this barely registered with me when I first heard it a few weeks ago. Well, I take that back; I guess I chuckled. After all it IS a funny play on words and appeals to the 13-year-old boy in us all. That was about it. Oh, and the fact that I couldn’t imagine something called “Schweddy Balls” tasting so great.

But the humor is lost on the One Million Moms who is asking members to skip a scoop of the stuff claiming its sexually suggestive saying is takes something wholesome and makes it less so. Ben and Jerry’s however, says no big deal and that their fans “get” their irreverent sense of humor.

A member of THIS American family thinks the One Million Moms and the AFA need to lighten up. Young kids won’t get the joke, kids Casey and Cole’s age will laugh hysterically while ordering it and they may help their unhip, old mom find the funny in something so silly.

What about you? Do you “get” Ben and Jerry’s humor or are you offended? Is the suggestive nature of the campaign harmful to kids?  Should the American Family Association lighten up and order a scoop of Schweddy Balls? Let’s debate!

1. Beth @ TheAngelForever

September 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oy! Seriously, there are more important things on my plate to worry about than a bowl of ice cream called Schweddy Balls. With that said, I laughed and shared this nostalgia on Facebook and Twitter when I first heard about it. It took me back to the good old days of SNL. You know when they did Hanukkah Harry, Opera Man, and other FUNNY things. This may not have been my favorite skit from the time period, but it made me laugh. This is not the first time Ben & Jerry’s will go laughing to the bank using something a little out there. Kuddos to them and I hope they use the funds to help their home state of Vermont to recover from Hurricane Irene.

2. Saida M Latigue

September 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Lighten up !!! It’s ICE CREAM, good grief …lol

3. kt moxie

September 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

My, my. Some ladies have their panties in a bunch, don’t they?

If they don’t want any ice cream because they are offended by the name, more power to them. More Schweddy Balls for me!

4. samg1994

September 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

It’s ice cream and I am a big fan of Ben and Jerrys cant wait to but it and see what my teens reaction is

5. Juli

September 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I am not at all offended. It’s funny as hell, and if the parents don’t buy it, the child isn’t influenced by a little bit of cute but raunchy humor. I’ve put worse things in my mouth then Schweddy Balls ;0

6. David Yarbrough

September 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love Ben & Jerry’s. Great for dessert. SNL awareness or not … based on the name of the flavor alone, I would consider “Schweddy” as the flavor for those who already are in relationships. It would be a bold message to buy it on the first date.

7. TechyDad

September 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m not offended. I’m more offended that I haven’t been able to find any Schweddy Balls ice cream!

And just to tell a somewhat-related story, we were gathering snack food for a recent trip and I decided to try some Mint Dark Chocolate Almonds. They were fantastic. Lightly coated in cocoa and baked. Not overpowering in the mint or dark chocolate taste. Perfect.

At one point while we were away, my mother-in-law said she needed something salty to eat and B reminded me about the almonds. I shouted “I have just the thing! I have fantastic nuts!” Everyone burst out laughing as I realized what I said. (Yes, she loved the mint dark chocolate almonds.)

I’d recommend for One Million Moms to just get a bag of almonds, cashews, or something and just relax. “Schweddy Balls” (the ice cream flavor) is not that big of a deal.

8. Ella

September 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

@juli yes! what is wrong with a Schweddy Ball treat once in a while? @rene you hit it on the head so to speak 😉 it gets us at our 13 year old level and that was B&J’s intent. all press is good press and now they’ve got a million or so people talking about this now 🙂

9. Auntie Lisa

September 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Never mind the name… what does it taste like? If it involves chocolate (but no coconut!), I’m in! 🙂 They do make EXCELLENT ice cream.

10. Cody Williams

September 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I’m offended.

11. TechyDad

September 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

BTW, I did some checking. One Million Moms (and One Million Dads) is affiliated with the American Family Association which has had such hits as:

– Calling for the banning of any mosques to be built in America (saying that Muslims shouldn’t have freedom of religion)

– Opposing a Hindu prayer being said in the US Senate because it was “seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god.”

– Saying that homosexuality is a choice that can be changed through religious teachings in ex-gay ministries

– Saying that Hitler was able to commit his atrocities because his soldiers were gay: “He could not get straight soldiers to be savage and brutal and vicious enough to carry out his orders, but that homosexual soldiers basically had no limits and the savagery and brutality they were willing to inflict on whomever Hitler sent them after.”

So I’d pretty much ignore One Million Moms for being affiliated with a group like that. (All of my info comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Family_Association )

12. Cody Williams

September 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

@Auntie Lisa.

Salty, I’m sure.

13. Cody Williams

September 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

TechyDad.

Thanks for the info. That says it all.

14. Cody Williams

September 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

“Oh, and the fact that I couldn’t imagine something called “Schweddy Balls” tasting so great.”

I got a big chuckle out of that line, Rene.

15. AndiSnark

September 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Schweddy Balls for everybody!

16. Irene

September 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I thought the worries of the u.s.a. right now was all about making President Obama a 1 term president—then Rene gives me a big laugh with Schweddy balls—

Just started a diet–a diet I vowed to start on Good enough mother at the beginning of the year— I wonder how many weightwatcher points this ice cream is. lol.

17. Auntie Lisa

September 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I looked it up and it involves malt balls, which I detest. So I probably won’t be buying any because of that (not because of the name).

18. PiecesOfEight

September 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm

For Gods Sakes!

Not everything is for kids or sanctimonious bible thumpers!

Nor should life be sanitized!

September 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Agree with you Rene and all except my ex Cody. That’s another reason he’s my ex. I haven’t tasted it yet but I hear it’s delicious.

20. Nicole

September 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm

More important things to protest:
    #1 Troy Davis being murdered by the state of Georgia.
    #2 Corporate greed and government tyranny at Occupy Wall Street.
    #3 Monsanto.
    #4 The entirety of the US Government.

September 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Nicole: AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!

22. pattyrowland

September 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm

do we live in a democracy or in a communist state?!?!!!??!?!!?

23. Noah

September 24, 2011 at 4:38 am

I think these people need to focus more on the names of the INGREDIENTS in their children’s food. They’re going to find out what sweaty balls are eventually. Before that it will go over their head and they’ll enjoy being children who love ice cream!

24. CarterM

October 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I have to say that I find it hysterical! I wonder if these “ladies” thought through the fact that even though they are asking people to boycott B&J, all they have done is bring more publicity to this product. And even bad publicity is good publicity. I mean come on people, now everyone is going to want it even more! LOL, Good job! Keep up the good work B&J and I’m going to keep my eyes out for it! I so want to try it! LOL