It’s The End Of The World: How Would You Spend Your Last Day?

Judgment-Day-May-21-2011

My dear sweet worrywart, Casey, asked me this morning if the world was going to end tomorrow as various religious extremists are proclaiming!

To be honest, I was so busy trying to make sure I didn’t burn the toaster waffles I hadn’t really given it much thought. But after Casey brought it up, I took a long look at the naked Eggo on the plate, pushed aside the sugar free syrup, poured on its full calorie cousin and took a big bite. I had forgotten how much sugar and warm dough resemble sex. Yeah I went there!

Walking Olivia today I gave the topic a little more thought. What if, as predicted the beginning of the end does come tomorrow? Have I done all I wanted to do?

If the world were ending tomorrow, how would you spend today? Would you sit in your house, worrying about what was to come? Would you book a stand-by flight to New Orleans and drink Hurricanes until your eyes crossed? Would you throw caution and calories into the wind and eat dessert before dinner? Or maybe instead of?

I’m not exactly sure what I would do but I’d like to think it would be something noble like tell the people in my life exactly what they mean to me. I would tell my husband though we’ve had our ups and downs, he’s been the best partner a woman could ask for. I’d spend the next several hours hugging my kids, explaining to them how they were teachers as much as students and my life was enriched by them.  I’d tell the people who believed in me how much their unwavering support meant; how it gave me the strength to go another day, even when I wanted to give up. And I would tweet and FB a similar sentiment, truly thankful for those who’ve supported the mission and me from afar.  I wonder if I’d give the figurative middle finger to those who shafted me along the way? With time ticking, somehow that seems less important.

Then I’d sit back and spend the final hours with my family. By then I’d have consumed a pound of Twizzlers and a magnum of expensive Champagne, even letting the kids drink some if they wanted to. And then we’d sit back and wait; hopefully we’d be able to settle on something we all want to watch on TV, though not likely!

Those things don’t cost much (outside of the calories) so what’s stopping me? Why don’t I tell Buff how damn grateful I am for him and all he does? Why don’t I hug those kids until they push me away, telling them how they’ve rounded out my life in ways I never imagined? Why don’t I tell Richard and Roger and all you reading, thanks? For everything. I think we don’t show our hand because it means making ourselves vulnerable and that means we can get hurt. When you expose yourself that way there’s a shift in the power balance (yes, even in close relationships). You hold no more cards, have no other way to protect yourself. Being emotionally naked isn’t easy.

But let’s try it today, what do you say? I’m going to smile more, hug Casey and Cole like I really mean it, not the perfunctory kind. I’ll tell Buff I love him and I’ll make sure not to go to bed angry tonight. For the rest of you reading, thanks. If tomorrow is the end, it’s been a helluva a ride!

What about you? If today were the last day of life as we know it, how would you spend it? What would you do? Who would you spend it with and what would you tell them? Let’s hear it!

1. TechyDad

May 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I originally was going to post a “What Would You Do If These Were Your Last Days On Earth” post, but it quickly went into morbid territory. (Imagining myself with a terminal disease is scary even if it was just to put myself into a frame of mind for a blog post.)

I’d probably do what you did though. I’d raid the ice cream in the freezer, let the kids have whatever they wanted to eat. Then I would get on the floor with them and my wife and play games until we were all exhausted.

2. DawnKA

May 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

The family and I would go out to an all you can eat buffet for our last supper. We would go home turn on the music dance, sing, tell jokes, laugh, watch movies that I pick and think would be great for us all to watch because God would want them to cooperate with me or else…. then we’d make our chocolate molten brownies and pour hot chocolate syrup over ice cream and eat all the junk food in the house. Hopefully it will all happen and we’d be so busy having fun that we even wont notice that it’s a wrap.

3. RJ

May 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I try to live everyday as if it could be my last. I’m not always successful. Sometimes doubt and worry creep in and consume my mind. Am I saving for retirement, kids college, current finances, household repairs, finances….et al.

It’s not that these things aren’t very important, it’s just that they probably aren’t worth the brain cells I’ve fried stressing over them. I think we’d all be better off if we lived every day as if it were the last. I think it helps put things in perspective.

4. Irene

May 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Well darn it…the world better not end before someone I know gets a pink slip…nah just kidding….

Gosh darn….I don’t know I think I would just get all my kids together and both their dads and spend the day together laughing, swimming, eating and joking around….knowing me, as one that shows them more I care about them then always saying it, it would be one helluva day….

Great article Rene…I have to say one of the thingys I love about this site is you can be mad as a hornet at the kids but you still keep it real…btw…I am glad I am not the only mom on earth that threatens to take all technology from my kiddoss…..

5. m.e. Johnson

May 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Long ago an old woman told me, “Live every day as tho it’s your last… ’cause it just might be.”

I’m at the age where I never know if I’ll wake up next day. I kinda hope it does happen that way. So I’m as nice as I can be to people, I say “I love you” a lot on f.b. and to the daught (that jewel of the universe). If I really really knew exactly, I’d work on a bottle of vodka.

6. Cody Williams

May 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I’m eating Bar-B-Q ribs. For sure.

Do what I do every day. Live, love and laugh.

Oh, and eat.

7. Cathi

May 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

NY … I’d spend my last day with my NY but tomorrow is not the last day because he’s in … are you ready? London!
    I learned the hard way that we can never count on tomorrow being here when my daughter never came home after an auto accident. I tell my husband (NY), children and grands that I love them numerous times a day. My close friends too.
    But hey! Now we all have an excuse to party tomorrow! Bring on the games and ice cream!!

8. Barbara

May 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Everyday for me is a good day. Money isn’t overflowing because of the economy but I’m happy. Family and friends really show their worth during periods of adversity. So if tomorrow is the end of the world, my final words will be “Thanks for a great ride.”. However, I’m getting my final fix of the “creamy crack, manicure and pedicure, French fries and champagne….. Rene, thanks for the reminder about truly matters. Enjoy tomorrow!

9. Roberta Lasky

May 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I try to live each day to its fullest. That being said, days are busy, filled with errands for house and relatives.

On this, my (imaginary) last day on earth, I’d pig out (like there was no tomorrow, pun intended) on a big breakfast, lunch & dinner. I’d eat lobster and wine. In between (being facetious), I kiss my kids and husband all over. Thank the for being part of my life. I’d spend time w/my mother, brother & father. I’d have my cats by my side all day long, may be even letting them enjoy the great outdoors, since they are indoor cats and will not know this joy being that it is also their last day.

For fun, I’d go swimming, play some tennis and get a massage.

For dessert, I’d have creme brulee! Perfect day.

10. Mike McGinley

May 21, 2011 at 2:12 am

I agree, Rene. But I think in vulnerability, you show strength. Look at all the people who present an image and end up miserable. I, myself, have shown my vulnerability when the situation has called for it, although it is always tough to do.

11. Faun

May 21, 2011 at 6:25 am

Since “tomorrow” is already today and I’m already up, nothing’s happened so far. After I finish farting around on facebook, I’m going to do some soul searching and prayer. Then I’m going to call and reschedule my physical therapy appointment for this morning, run to McDonald’s down the street and get me something to eat…naw, go to Waffle House and get that Fiesta Omelet I’m so wild about (add mushrooms, minus ham). By that time it should be time to go to physical therapy followed by my already scheduled eye exam at Eye Masters (already picked out my new Bebe frames). Then I’ll come home and call everybody who’s special to me and tell them how much I love them. By the way…what’s your number? 🙂 Depending on how I feel, I may drive to my hometown to see my mom, dad & grandmother but just incase you fly into New Orleans, let a sista know & I’ll meet you there since it’s only an hour away. I figure if I don’t go anywhere, there’s no point in cleaning up my house, not because it’s the end of the world, but because I never clean on Saturdays (lol). I save that for during the week because I like to rest on the weekends (but this week I missed a couple of days). I may take a nap and then listen to some music on my laptop since there’s no Girlfriends marathon coming on today. I’d be very tempted to call up a guy friend I’ve always had a crush on and tell him how I feel about him. Maybe invite him over. 🙂 And the rest of the day, I guess I’ll just play it by ear.

12. Pam R

May 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I don’t know. I mean I show my kids how much I love them everyday. I hug them and tell them I love them often. I tell my hubby that too and how lucky I am to be the woman he chose to have in his life. I pray daily and I have accept Jesus into my life so if today was the last day I would be ok because I know where I am going. The people in my life know how much I love them and I tell them often. I probably don’t say thanks enough but I would thank the people who have been in my life and supported me. Lastly after reassuring everyone of my feelings and love for them, I would pray for those who have not recieved Jesus. Then I would carry on with my day.

13. Jeff Winbush

October 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hmmm…I’d probably spend a good portion of the last day on earth engaging in hedonistic and totally carnal acts of the flesh.

Then I’d tell my family I love them and just quietly drink myself into numbness.