Will Underwear Make Kids Think Twice About Sex?

WWYMD-not tonight

Hey all! I saw this piece the other day and wanted to get your take on it.

A company called WWYMD.com as in What Would Your Mother Do has a line of undergarments designed to be conversation starters, so they say. They hope the undergarments, with cute little messages on the waistband, like “Dream On” and “Not Tonight” in adorable colors and styles, will get teens to think twice before going all the way. But will they really?

Okay, here’s my take, cute idea but probably not going to work so well in practice. (You know how I feel about abstinence education).  Listen, we’ve all been teens before. If they’ve already gotten to the place where the small print can be read on the waistband, good luck stoppin’ that train. Besides, it’s not about the underwear,  it’s about the education! The cute sayings could work, IF they are backed up by education, both scientific and moral.  If they have that, your kid could wear a cotton-poly blend from Target and achieve the same results.

So what do you think? Can underwear help your kids make the right decision about sex or is this just a marketing ploy? And the broader question, do you think abstinence education works? What do you teach your children?

Okay, fire away!

1. Beth Bellor

April 21, 2011 at 11:33 am

Wow. I am so with you. If they’ve gotten to the point they can SEE the underwear, they’re probably not turning back.

This grinds me too: Why are the products offered only for girls?

April 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

@Beth and I didn’t even go into the WAY they were selling it (the poses and the like). Oh boy

3. Irene

April 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Well, Lordie bee…all I can say that if monagrammed underwear is the abstinence go getter…glad you gave the link cuz their stock is getting ready to go up!!!!

LOL…Gotta ask my 4 teenage girls about this one.

4. Jen

April 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I think it would work better to just have a picture of your MOM on the underwear. That might stop the train. I’m with Beth, why are only the girls getting these undies and what’s with the come hither pose to sell these things?

April 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

@Jen: Yes, a photo or mom might do it.. or perhaps dad with a menacing look!

6. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom)

April 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Yeah, I’m not thinking these are going to work very well… And crazy how they are still trying to sell “not-sex” with sexy poses. Sigh.

7. Patrish

April 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

only if they are made of iron and come with a lock and key. oh, yeah, they tried that already.

April 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm

@Susan: I know, right? Mind-boggling!

9. Tiffany

April 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

@ Rene – “Dad with a menacing look?” I think you mean “Dad with a shot gun”.

April 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

@Tiffany: I was going to say! Glad someone did, LOL

11. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom)

April 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Oh my.

Those statements, “Dream On” and “Not tonight” don’t promote abstinence anyway! Those are still implying one is “available” just not at that moment.

BUT the whole fact that writing something on underwear would help, even if it were a different statement, is ridiculous.

They should market “Not Tonight” to the weary moms! 😉

12. Suzan

April 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm

It’s probably not going to make any more difference than having “PINK” emblazoned across their butt.

Suzan’s “Life is Better in a Tiara”

April 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am having the best laugh of the day. Any of you ever had the set of panties for every day of the week? Did you really wear the “Wednesday”-emblazoned ones on Wednesday?

As Beth said (or some bumper stickers), if he can read it he’s already too close.

April 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

@m.e. LOL @ Bumperstickers.. whoo I remember those and the panties of the week too. And you’re right, we all just wore what was clean!

15. Pilar

July 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m in agreement here, ladies. If the skivvies are visible at that point, then pretty sure all the other bases have been er, reached, already.

Love the idea of having moms wear these in promotional campaigns. It would resonate so much more with their “what would your mother do” ideal. I would love to see regular, non-photoshopped girls of all shapes, sizes and colors wearing these. Would be a much stronger message.

Off topic, I would wear these! Wouldn’t you tired mamas?