The GEM Debate: To Botox – Or Not To Botox?

To grow old gracefully – or fight it every step of the way – that’s the question for which there are a number of Botox filled hypodermic needles, waiting to answer.

But they’ll stay in their holster when actress Jane Seymour is in the room. Seymour, who recently turned 60, looks amazing ! But the most amazing part is that Jane claims her face is the one she was born with – no nips, no tucks not even any needles.  Seymour says the fact that she has allowed herself to age has not slowed her career any; in fact she thinks she gets work BECAUSE she looks the way a mature woman should.

You know what Good Enough Mother says to that? Good for her. For me, I’ll go ahead and be stuck with my twice yearly, facelift in a vial. Yep, I’m a Botox girl…!

Now let me tell you Botox is no picnic, but neither are wrinkles so I suppose it’s something of a Faustian deal. Sometimes I wonder which is worse, the permanent smell of sulfur or walking through the street of Manhattan bleeding from your forehead like a stuck pig. I love it when people ask me if the injections hurt. Hell yeah they hurt but similar to your post birth sentiment, it’s hard to argue with the results. After labor you have a beautiful baby to shower with love and affection; after Botox, you have a beautifully smooth forehead. Sounds fair to me!

I can also spot a fellow ‘Toxer. I know the telltale signs and what to look for. She knows me too and we share a silent, frozen stare as we pass each other on the street. Will I give it up? Let me think about … NO! Well maybe at some point. Not right now. Do you think I’m vain for that? You might? Do I care? Not really!

But what side of the debate do you fall on? Here’s today’s GEM Debate…

Do you believe in Botox – or would you prefer to age gracefully?

Have you ever had the treatment – and what did you think? Or perhaps you’re considering it now… send over a comment and join the debate – maybe we can help you decide.

Sound off everyone… this is gonna be great!

1. Pam R

February 16, 2011 at 11:32 am

I would say that whatever works for you then do it! I’m only 30 years old but I think about it from time to time because I have sleepy looking eyes and I want to look more awake.

So yeah I am pro Botox!! Work it!!

2. Rich

February 16, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m not there yet – but tempted!

I just worry that there might be some adverse side effects to Botox that we don’t know about yet and will come out years down the line…

February 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

@Rich: I will tell you this much, after you have it done, you look at yourself and it literally is like a facelift in a vial. You won’t be able to stop looking, LOL. It opens you up and makes you look less tired. The problem is, like with everything, people think a little is good so more must be better. A little goes a VERY long way!

4. Carolyn

February 16, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Yes, Rene – a little goes a long way. When people say to me – you don’t look like you’ve had botoxo done, I respond – I go to a dermatologist in Dallas, not Hollywood!

February 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm

@Carolyn this is so true,. The trick is to find someone who is conservative and can tell you when you DON’T need it. My doc is great that way 🙂

6. DawnKA

February 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Never say never so right now as of today, I will say NEVER – who knows what the future dictates.

7. dianthe

February 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

i’m 38 and counting the minutes until i’m done birthing and nursing babies – the second the last one is weaned i’m getting Botox and filling my “parentheses” – and i’ll be graceful the whole time!

8. Auntie Lisa

February 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Depending on the circumstances, I MIGHT consider it. Right now, I’d rather spend my efforts (and money!) on giving my body what it needs on the inside, so the outside will look better naturally. This includes healthy eating, plenty of exercise and helpful supplements. I also try to protect my skin by taking good care of it. BUT… I sure do wish I had Jane Seymour’s genetics!

9. Nikki Newman

February 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Nice one, Rene! Again, this is so timely for me. Up til about, erm, 2 months ago I was totally against it. For myself, no problem with anyone else doing it, just hate it when it’s too much. Now, well, now I’m seeing that if I choose to enjoy myself, the signs of it stay on my face for about, oooh, 2 or 3 weeks! And then there’s living with the sun, I do what I can, but I no longer have the protection of England’s grey skies…so what I’m saying is, sign me up! When the time is right, not yet. It will be small, subtle, I don’t want that swollen look, when everything looks a bit blurry and feline :-S But I am with Rich, I’m just not sure I trust it yet…

10. Mia

February 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I’m scared. I have considered it, but afraid I might get the droopy eye or something else crazy might happen.

11. Rich

February 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Rene – if you end up looking like that woman in the restaurant yesterday I will run a before and after on GEM!!!!

R x

February 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm

@ Rich AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

13. jacki marie

February 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I considered it for a moment… until you said needles and pain. I have to get injections on my face because of my illness (discoid lupus) and they hurt… really hurt. I cannot imagine getting more for any reason, for anybody.

14. Nikki Newman

February 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Ok, getting down to it, I don’t honestly care about the pain. Tell me the basics!! And how do we safeguard against over-injection?

ps has Helen Mirren had it? Come on, Rene, tell me!?!

15. M.E. Johnson

February 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I wish I had a side to choose, but being past all that I say do what makes you happy. It kinda ticks me off that I don’t hear Mick Jagger having these conversations. 🙁

February 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm

@M.E. true about Mick but you know, he’s WAY past what Botox could do for him. He needs to EAT!

17. Nikki Newman

February 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Helen Mirren??

February 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

@Nikki you are a mess.. I need to take a closer look. But the bottom line is this, rarely does someone get to that age and look like that without the help of a great and discreet surgeon.. I’m going to look 🙂

February 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm

@ Nikki Okay so here’s my AMATEUR assessment on the lovel Helen Mirren if you look at this photo of her from 2007, notice the telltale “11’s” between her brows:

They are missing from this photo, taken in 2010

My guess is that she may have had some in there. But it was discreet and actually looks fine on her, I think.. what do you think?

20. Nikki Newman

February 17, 2011 at 3:58 am

Oh yes, I can see that! Thanks for responding to my rather persistent (friggin annoying no doubt) requests
    :-S Oh God. It’s just that for me she’s how I want to age and I’ve always wondered if it’s entirely natural, which I guess it largely is. Good! Ok, now to work on those early nights…

21. Rachel vidoni

February 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Alright, clearly I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’m not pro botox. I think it’s kind of a sad statement about our society that women/men must look like they are perpetually 30 or they aren’t viewed as attractive. I also think there comes a point when it starts to be really really obvious that someone does botox, and then it just seems sad. And I’m with Rich, injecting chemicals into your dermis (is it your dermis?) seems like asking for trouble.

22. Auntie Lisa

February 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I looked at the Helen Mirren pics, and I think the lighting on the second one is brighter and maybe that sort of washed out the appearance of the forehead wrinkles. You can still see the ones around her eyes, though. I think she looks great regardless. 🙂

23. Pingback: Aging – How Are You Handling It?

24. Noah

September 24, 2011 at 4:18 am

Could you tell I get it when you saw me yesterday? Ask your doc if he or she can start using 32 gauge needles on you. It’s actually painless – like an acupuncture needle.