Are you happy at the moment?
– Yes and no. I’m always striving to be better, for that next level which I always think will make me happy or happier. At the moment however I am extremely happy with my family life. The other night me, my husband and our daughter sat down on the couch, next to a cozy fire and ate popcorn while watching “The Wizard of Oz.” I thought, “This is heaven.”
If you could go back and say anything to your 16 year old self now – what would it be?
– Apply to NYU. Go to New York – grow dreadlocks or whatever your heart desires. Don’t be stifled by others expectations. Also, as the Bruno Mars song goes – believe, “You’re amazing, just the way you are.”
What’s the most important thing you’ve learned this year?
– We’re all in this together. Most people respond to that, even the ones who act ugly.
What do you most want to achieve in the next 12 months?
– I want to conquer my issues with being “perfect.” The logical side of me understands the “Good Enough Mother” philosophy, but I’m a work in progress. Also, no more multitasking!
What’s your secret to happiness?
– When I’m sad I commit to it. I cry, I scream, I spend a day in my pajamas. Then I get up and move on, never dwell.
What one ritual or practice keeps you grounded?
– I love to read. Taking that time to myself to read and reflect helps center me. I also talk to my mom at least once a day. It feels wonderful to be able to bounce stuff of someone who always has your best interest at heart.
What’s your biggest regret?
– My biggest regret is not listening to my inner voice. I’ve been in situations where I’ve instinctively known it wasn’t the right fit for me or that it was time to move on and I didn’t listen.
What’s the most important lesson you’ve taught your kid(s)?
– I’m teaching our daughter compassion. When someone is mean spirited or a bully what they’re really showing you is their vulnerabilities and insecurities.
What bad habit would you most like to change about yourself?
– Ok, so this is a horrible one. I’m lactose intolerant but I still eat cheese and ice cream. This has got to stop!!!
Aside from motherhood and marriage what are you most proud off in your life?
– I’m proud that I’m kind and compassionate but I’ve also been told I have a spine of steel. I’ve always believed you can get things done without being a bitch.
When were you happiest?
– I’m happiest when I’m around good people, having great conversation and wine!
What ten words best describe you?
Determined, independent, compassionate, understanding, nosy, accepting, bull-headed, brave, private AND public.
Tonya Mosley is a television reporter and founder of the lifestyle web magazine newnaturalista.com. She lives in Seattle with her husband and daughter.