It’s time for a new strand here on Good Enough Mother, inspired by one of the most popular features here on the site – our Ten From GEM list (if you haven’t checked the list out yet – take a look in the right hand sidebar!)
Each week on Ten From GEM I’m going to share with you 10 of my favorite things in a certain category – be it movies, TV shows, books, holiday destinations or men! I’ll tell you why I love them – but then I want you to weigh in too. I want to see your Top 10 lists in the comments below so we can all debate and discuss each other’s choices. You get the idea? Great…
So this week’s Ten From GEM is all about MUSIC which I think really tells the story of our lives. These are 10 of my favorite songs of all time, with a little insight as to why I chose them and what was going on in my life at the time they were popular.
Here we go…
Good Enough Mother’s 10 Favorite songs in ascending order.
10. Unchain My Heart – Ray Charles: My folks were HUGE Ray Charles fans. They had an old phonograph and every so often, after a long day at work, my dad would put needle to vinyl and play some Ray.
9. You Make Me So Very Happy – Blood, Sweat and Tears: Another group my folks like to listen to. Pre-separation, when they really did make each other happy.
8. Crocodile Rock – Elton John: I had a little mustard yellow transistor radio. At night, when I was supposed to be asleep, I would turn it on and listen to KFRC out of San Francisco. Elton John was on the playlist.
7. Always and Forever – Heatwave: I danced my first slow dance to this song at a house party when I was in the 9th grade. Man, I am old!
6. Celebration – Kool and the Gang: I was in high school still and house parties were a regular part of my routine then. This was a popular one, for obvious reasons. Still makes me smile.
5. Stayin’ Alive – The Bee Gees: The hair, the clothes, need I say more?
4. Rock With You – Michael Jackson: Wow, easy to listen to and matched my life at the time, easy and carefree.
3. Nightshift – Commodores: Great musicians, great melody, great message. I LOVE me some Commodores.
2. Kiss From a Rose – Seal: This song hit the charts in mid 1994, the year Buff and I got married. It was perfect because he was.
1. Coming Out of the Dark – Gloria Estefan: This song was released in 1991, her first single after that horrifying bus accident that almost killed her. This song speaks to the transformation in her as a result but you cannot help but think how the words could work in your life too. It is my anthem.
What about you? What are your top 10 songs and why they are important to you? Start sharing everyone…!