SAY NO TO THE DRESS?

Good Enough Mother says YES! There is a line that just should not be crossed and while tooling around online, I found it.

Here’s 42-year-old Cuban actress/singer Niurka Marcos on the red carpet – with her son!

I get that Niurka is proud of her figure but I think there comes a time, and dare I say it, an age, when flaunting it to this degree just makes you look like you’re working the midday shift at Centerfold’s. There are so many things wrong with this look, I’m not even sure where to start.

THE BARELY THERE DRESS: Tacky with a capital  “T”. Too much sparkle and not enough fabric.

THE STOMACH: Yes, it’s flat and probably took Herculean effort to get it, but it looks bizarre. A little bit of pooch could be a good thing.

THE NAILS: AGH!! Wow.

THE KID: He is the youngest of her three and I admire the fact that he is posing there with his mama, but you gotta wonder if secretly, deep down, he is wondering if his mom would just wear something that didn’t make her look like a 20-year-old streetwalker.

Now I’m not advocating we all opt for mom jeans and tennis shoes (no, no, NEVER  tennies with jeans – unless you’re gardening) but is there a line that should not be crossed?

Would you ever – even if you could physically – wear this?

Would you pose with your kid in it?

1. Faun Reese

July 18, 2010 at 12:12 pm

OMG…that poor kid! His head’s right up there at her boobs! Rene, I hope you never wear anything like that cuz I’m here to tell you, I WILL TALK ABOUT CHA! (lolz)

2. Aimee Tilley

July 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Scary. All of it. Hair, nails, the Fredricks of Hollywood outfit. Ugh…

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention SAY NO TO THE DRESS? -- Topsy.com

4. tammyele

July 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

There’s something wrong with her stomach–looks like a bad photoshop job or she had surgery, or a barely there tattoo peeking out above the skirt–something! I don’t know about the “pooch” comment, I love a flat tummy, but this one shows as abnormal. Everything else here is just too much. A beautiful, young looking, fit woman trying too hard and missing the mark.

5. Madison Bleu

July 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Definitely shouldn’t wear this kinda dress around your kid, but whats wrong with jeans & tennis — Steve Harvey said the same thing and while I rarely pair the two I honestly don’t see whats wrong with doing so.

6. ALLISON VAUGHAN

July 18, 2010 at 1:09 pm

THIS MOM IS MORE TO BE PITIED THAN SCORNED!! THE MAIN QUESTION I HAVE IS SIMPLE!! WHY??

7. Charlene Taylor

July 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I agree Rene.The bottom of the dress is made to show the culture but the top really needs more to it. The small picture scared me but when I opened it here with the bigger one, well, I won’t go there. Kids are probably used to it. I don’t think it’s very flattering to her but apparently she and the designer liked it. I don’t think the abs look as good on a woman as a man. Looks too manly to me. Not very flaterring.

8. Gayle Mahoney

July 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

YOW!
    It’s complicated- she has a great bod and I would flaunt it, too, if I looked like that- but not when I was hanging with my little son!!! I guess it just seems wrong to sexualize anything having to do with kids.

He is soooo adorable and I love his style- seems creepy though that he kinda looks like her date!

9. Linda Evans

July 18, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Love it, love it, love it.

Don’t hate — contratulate!

Linda E.

10. Daryn

July 19, 2010 at 8:38 am

Here’s the thing I’ve figured out–when you’re lucky enough to stay long and lean way past when many expect you to, there will come a time where you try on clothes that fit (i.e. in the Junior’s dept.) and you still must say to yourself…”Just because I CAN wear this…doesn’t mean I should!”

p.s. Renee: Congrats on latest round of GEM.com! Excellent.

11. Carmen

July 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I get being proud of the body… But that poor kid is in for some serious therapy when he gets older.

For anyone who thinks this is okay, just imagine YOUR mom wearing that to something when you were about that age. Yikes!

12. P.J.

July 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Sorry, but this looks like a man in drag. And I’m sure her son wants to shrivel up and die.
    This body was bought and paid for. Fake boobs, tummy sculpting and don’t get me started on the face or that hair.
    A fabulous body looks way better when it’s showcased with some style and elegance.
    Can you say “Hoochie Mama”? Or is that “Papa”?

13. Patrish

April 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

this photo is so obviously wrong, not even worth commenting on.

now, the jeans with tennies question is worthy of debate! not even retro keds? Rene??

14. Carol

April 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

but eweeee creepy with the child in pic…hope he grows up to respect women…..

15. YancyB

April 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

Okay the whole outfit is ridiculous from the jump…and she should be ashamed!!!! Let’s just get that said. But what is shocking me is the second picture posted…..and I just got one question…..WHAT THE HECK IS THAT TATTOO OF THAT IS PLAYING PEEK-A-BOO FROM THE TOP OF HER DRESS-SKIRT? IT LOOKS LIKE THE HEAD OF A PENIS!!!!

16. Rhonda

May 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Start a collection for his therapy. Beyond nursing age no child should see this much of their mom’s dumplings.