WOW! Thank you…

Good Enough Mother® - "Career" Rene

I’m not embarrassed to admit that sometimes it gets tough. I’m not one of those people who talks about how rosy it is all the time, intoxicated by the fumes of their own BS (yeah, we all know those types). No, I’m more of a truth-telling pragmatist, maybe a little too much, as pragmatism can sometimes veer off into pessimism. So the other day, just getting overwhelmed with all of the things I had to write and places I had to be, I found this letter in my Facebook inbox. Wow, this note from a woman I had emailed a few times and met once, reassured me that I was, no, AM, on the right track. So is she and I am humbled by the fact that she points to me as a part of her process. She said I could share this note with you so here it is. And Anonymous, Thanks….

Dear Rene,
I wrote to you earlier this year because I had been following your “Ask Rene” column and have always respected the straight-to-the-point but very wise advice that you give. I had supportive people around me, but I wanted an objective opinion about my situation. My decision had been made, but I was questioning myself. My self-esteem was pretty much non-existent. It turns out that your input was crucial. You gave me advice, but you didn’t just stop there.

When I wrote to you, I had already made the decision to leave my husband of almost 25 years. I was questioning the practicality of leaving with the economy the way it is and the fact that I haven’t worked full-time outside of the home in over 20 years. I spent my time taking care of my several children and my husband.

After I gave you the back-story, you called my relationship for what it was — an abusive marriage– and then you began to build me up. I remember being impressed that you took the time to look over the content on my Facebook page, including my pictures, and you saw my value. You told me that I WOULD find a job. You told me that I deserved to take care of myself. You encouraged me in a way that the people close to me couldn’t. The fact that you took the time to help me, a stranger, was instrumental in getting me back on track.

Soooo much has happened since then. I moved in with family and found a part time job over the summer. When that job ended I started looking for work again. There have been many ups and downs since, but today, I want to share my excitement with you.

I started my PERFECT job this week. On my first day, the boss hinted that his plan was to keep me after the holidays. (I’m seasonal and part time right now.) During my third shift today, he told me that he is grooming me for management. I LOVE the job so much that I accidentally worked 20 minutes past my quitting time yesterday. It’s so nice to be appreciated and recognized.

I’m seeing a counselor and that is going well too. I’m facing the voices in my head that tell me I’m not good enough and the ones that cause me to give up or not even try out of fear of failing. I didn’t realize that they were even there and that they had been holding me back all these years.

Thank you for seeing me even when I didn’t see myself. Don’t EVER doubt that you are doing a GREAT work with Goodenoughmother.com! I’m inspired by you and I know that countless others are also.

With Much Love and Appreciation for you…

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com . When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Ella

December 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Amazing! but not surprising. You honestly have that effect on people, Rene. Hopefully, you never forget how truly GEM-tastic you are!

2. Elisa Malinovitz

December 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m right there with you anonymous. Rene has a huge heart and knows how to share it. She does take the time to look through pictures, notes, and do her love-sharing homework. <3 We're all lucky this is the avenue she's chosen.

December 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Awww, thanks honey! *HUGS* for the holidays!

December 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Ella, couldn’t do without you!

5. Kristin

December 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Doesn’t affirmation taste yummy? This just lets us all know that yes, we SHOULD write notes of Thank You when we really mean it. Just because someone is a saving grace doesn’t mean they feel that way. It’s good to hear it.

And thank you for sharing the letter!

6. Irene

December 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wowiee….don’t know if it is the gem that faced her own fears or the gem that works how she lives and lives how she works that is so humbling about this letter.

It really has been a good year and knowing there is a place to come and be yourself in the world of the blogosphere (where bs is the norm at times) is just icing on the cake.

7. sarena

December 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Sometimes you find a GEM that is as beautiful as she is truthful! Rene, thank you for allowing us to journey your life with you. Every bit of honesty shared through your pain and triumphs, gives us courage to face our deepest fears and gives us clear reasons to celebrate the good times. As a result, we become better spouses, parents, neighbors and friends. Keep GEM-inizing the world!

8. Denise

December 15, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Rene:
    You have made a huge impact on my sister. When she told me she talked to you I shared with her how during my early “stay at home mom” years after leaving corporate america I would wake up just to see what you had on each day. Yor voice and beautiful face got me thru alot of mommy blues days. Now I see that you have moved on to inspire women at a much deeper level and I applaud you for that. We all need to realize that we “matter” and sometimes we give our power away. Thank you for seeing in my sister something that made her see that she matters. She is a queen and so are you. May God bless you and all you are doing to help women.

December 16, 2011 at 6:44 am

@Denise: Oh WOW! Bless you and your sister. Yep, we all need to matter..and we do! THX for writing

10. pattyrowland

December 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

very nice gem! you truly are an inspiration!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

11. Bill Mah

December 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

Wow, what a story! You inspired confidence in that woman to move on with her life, telling her she can do things that she did not see in herself. This is a wonderful venture you are doing with the GEM empire you are building. Be proud of yourself Rene. :)