The GEM Debate: A Boy In The Girl Scouts?

It’s been a minute since we had a debate like this one so let’s dive right in. I found this story out of Denver about seven-year-old Bobby Montoya, a boy who really, really wants to be a girl scout. When his mother went to sign him up, the troop leader to her he couldn’t join because, well, he’s a boy.

Yes, while technically that is true, Bobby Montoya has, in the words of the scout leader who turned him away, “boy parts” but he identifies as a girl leaning more toward dresses and dolls. His mother is okay with that and wonders what’s the big deal.

I think more kids are becoming comfortable talking about their gender identity at an earlier age and I applaud that. I think talking and learning about those issues is good for all of us. But is there a place in the Girls Scouts for a boy?

According to their website the Girl Scouts organization, founded in 1912, seeks to empower young girls and teach them to “discover the fun, friendship and power of girls together”. If Bobby is transgendered and identifies with girls, should the fact that he has external plumbing keep him from that? If he lives his life as a girl, in other words, that’s what society sees him as (because that’s what he presents) would he not also benefit from some of the above?

In some of the comments on this story, one person talked about how uncomfortable the other girls might be if there was a boy in the troop. I think it’s just the opposite. Kids are FAR more accepting of what is presented to them than adults, who have to color between the lines because, “ that’s what we’re expected to do.”  I think the other seven-year-olds would be more enamored by Bobby’s thick hair and Bratz doll collection than what he’s got between his legs. I say let him in and so do the Girl Scouts who, when contacted, underscored the fact that they are an inclusive organization.

Okay, that’s my take. What about you? Do you think a boy should be allowed in the Girl Scouts? Why or why not? Do you think it would be disruptive to the others in the troop? Lemme hear ya!

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com. When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Juli

October 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Great point about kids being more accepting Rene. I completely agree!
    Several years ago, I might have been against this, not because he is transgender, but because I would feel little girls needed their own clubs and groups for empowerment. But these days, I have no problem. Girls are in little league, and wrestling and many other formally male only clubs. I don’t think we really need to exclude one sex to empower the other anymore. As for the trangender reasons to exclude the boy/girl…I think it it would be ignorant of parents to make this child feel as if they are an outcast. I applaud the child’s parents for letting their child be who the child is.

2. Cody Williams

October 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Oh, heck, nawl!!!

He’s transgender, not a girl. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that. ;-)

His parents should go out and found The Transgender Scouts of America.

Young girls will face certain gender body issues that he will never be able to relate to. They should be allowed to work those issues out among themselves. Without having ‘boys’ intrude, as my daughter would say. So what if he is a pseudo girl.

Call me a Neanderthal, but I really do think it’s important for adults to establish and teach gender identity to children. Not the other way around. Would we let an 8-year-old teach us to drive a car?

October 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm

@Cody: AGGHHHHHH ! *Neanderthal* Okay so you’re saying, a boy who exhibits and identifies with being girl, should be FORCED to do things that are “manly” so as to grow up with an identity that makes other people comfortable? So that he fits in with what other people (who ultimately on’t matter) feel he should? Oh God, please don’t let my head pop off. P.S. An 8 year old won’t die wearing a dress. Same cannot be said for driving a car.

4. Juli

October 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm

@Cody…Really? I’ve raised 3 boys and I never had to teach them gender identity. You are who you are and all the teaching isn’t going to change that fact. Ask any gay or transgender person.

October 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Or ask any straight person.. never had to be taught that either.

6. Coach E

October 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I’m sorry Rene I just don’t agree with it. I think that at times we want to make people feel comfortable at all times. Why can’t the Boy Scouts accept him as he is. Maybe the Boy Scout should change their methods of acceptance. Either way I personally don’t agree with but it would never change how I feel about this kid.

7. Stuart

October 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I agree that kids can handle a lot more than we give them credit for. My question is – are these kids strangers, or do they hang out together as “friends” in daily life? If the latter is true, and they never seem to have a problem with that, then why have a problem with this? People are so quick to judge these days and jump all over everyone’s case for something that they have absolutely NO BUSINESS being involved in. BUTT OUT and let people live their lives… whether you agree with it or not.

8. TechyDad

October 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

The only “gender stuff” we’ve taught our boys are:

1) the anatomical differences between boys and girls. (Brought up because they noticed Mommy didn’t have something they and Daddy have.)

2) We don’t touch or “take ourselves out” ourselves in public unless we’re in a restroom (and even then just to go potty). (Had an issue with NHL doing this for awhile.)

Other than this, I’m not going to teach my boys to be stereotypical manly men. Probably because I’m not one myself. I don’t particularly care for sports, hate beer, shy away from physical fights, etc. My boys can and will define who they are based on their interests and preferences and not based on what is or isn’t dangling from their crotch.

As for the Girl Scouts, I agree that this is a bigger issue for the adults than for the kids. I don’t see a group of 7 year olds thinking “We don’t want to play with Bobby because he has a penis.” At worst, they’d have an “eww cooties”-type reaction, get to know Bobby and then play with him the same way they would play with any kid.

9. Cody Williams

October 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Rene and Juli,

Of course we as a society pass on what we expect of each gender from one generation to the next. And it’s not always about dribbling balls and burping loud in public either.

I am who I am in large part because of what I learned from my parents. I learned to be a dad from my dad. That’s what societies do.

That little boy did not wake up one day and decide to let his hair grow into a cute little Bob. His mother taught him that. At eight years old I would have never let either of my children decide how they are going to wear their hair. (Probably because my son would never cut it or comb it.)

Her mother will teach my daughter what to do with her body as it changes. Not me. (I would if I had to, but am glad I don’t)

My guess is if that mother had not bought that little boy “My Little Pony” he would have been content playing with other toys.

Yes, a lot of what we are is hardwired from birth. But, in civilized societies we nurture and prepare our children for adulthood. We don’t just drop the out and see what happens.

10. Cody Williams

October 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Oops. ^”…drop them out and see what happens.”^

October 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh geez.. my head DID just pop off! Cody, you can learn how to use a drill or what to do when your body changes but that has nothing to do with who you think you are on the inside. You are right about one thing, society is quite good out making us conform.. shouting down the individual because they are different in favor of what is “right” and expected. Yes, you are absolutely right about that. Out of curiosity, you think that had she not bought him a “My little pony” (dying to know how you know that) and instead bought GI Joe, he wouldn’t want to wear his hair long or go into the girl scouts? Um…

12. Victor

October 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Ok… This is just crazy! I haven’t read everybody’s response b/c on my BB in carpool paying daddy bus driver. BUT, I’m definitely w/Cody on this one! It’s the “GIRL”Scouts!! He’s a boy! Please! Absolutely not!

13. Randa

October 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

As a Girl Scout Leader, I have a problem with this simply because we have sleep overs, camping, swim parties, and other events where my girls are changing in front of each other or sharing sleeping accommodations. And while it may not be that big of a deal to a seven year old, it is a big deal to the parents. Some of my girls are uncomfortabel changing with just other seven and eight year old girls in the room. Not to mention, I would be uncomfortable with my daughter showering at camp with a boy, transgender or not. At what point do you say “OK, now you are ten (or 12 or 15…) and it is no longer appropriate for you to share a tent or a shower with girls.” I just cannot support a boy in the GIRL Scouts.

14. ViHo

October 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

excuse all of the typos on my post up there ^^^^ “Victor”(w/the Canadian flag???)….. i was on my blackberry in carpool picking up all of my rugrats **playing** daddy bus driver.

15. jc

October 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Our school doesn’t have a boy scout troop because of the BSA’s anti-gay troop leader position. I can’t imagine this kid would be welcome in a boy scout troop. At least the national Girl Scouts organization isn’t overtly hostile to LGBT folks.
    I think we all teach our kids that their private parts are private. When girls this age go to the locker room to change, or have sleepovers, or use the restrooms they are usually pretty modest anyway. I gotta figure this kid would take every opportunity to change privately, use the facilities privately, and wouldn’t to be ‘seen’ any more than any biological girl in the troop. So what would make the girls uncomfortable?

October 28, 2011 at 7:18 am

Good grief. Seriously?
    What ever happened to compassion and common sense? This issue is nowhere near as big as all of this. We’re not talking about same sex marriage or gays in the military; we’re talking about a little boy that would rather play with dolls and sell cookies then play flag football. So… let him.

If this was my son, yeah, it might take some getting used to for me, but that would be MY problem, not his. I wouldn’t make him feel like I didn’t except who he was, and I wouldn’t want anybody else to either. If this kid learns now that it’s ok to be who he is and this troop of girls learns to accept people for who they are then maybe, by the time they all reach high school together, this kid won’t want to hang himself and these girls won’t be terrorizing each other on facebook. Right now, this is really important to this little boy, and there’s a real good chance that these girls won’t care one way or another. They’re SEVEN. How about the grown-ups involved do something amazing like… I don’t know… maybe act grown-up.

If the parents all show acceptance and compassion, guess what all of these kids will learn? And guess what the kids will learn if the parents don’t show it?

October 28, 2011 at 9:03 am

@Will: This is why I love you. Period.

18. ViHo

October 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

ok…. but, HE’S A BOY. not a GIRL. it’s the “GIRL” Scouts. but, i understand that everyone is different and are entitled to raise their kids the way they see fit. As for me… that would NEVER happen in my house with any of my sons. doesn’t make me immature or wrong or less of an adult b/c i’m taking care of family the way I see fit. agree or disagree, at the end of the day we’re responsible for our own children. opinions are just that…. opinions. and we raise our own children the way we see fit(with love being the foundation).

i’m gonna stop here. i know how i can get with this. ***biting tongue, selecting “Post Comment”, and closing page*** lol

October 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm

ViHo

Not trying to start a fight here, but what if your son told you he was gay?

The way i see it, the problem isn’t with the boy… it’s with the name “girl scouts”.

Which means women can’t deliver mail because they can’t be a “mailman”, and women can’t be in sales because they can’t be a “salesman”, and women can’t work in businesses because they can’t be “businessmen”, right? So let’s not let women ever do any of these things. Or…. we could just change what we call them.

It’s not a brick wall; it’s just a label and labels get changed everyday.

If this was other way around and some little girl was a “tomboy” and wanted to play football and crawl around in the dirt after bugs, folks wouldn’t bat an eye… because most would assume the girl will grow out of it. And maybe she would, but why should it matter whether she does or not to anyone but her?

Maybe this little boy will grow up and be gay. Maybe he won’t. Either way, forcing him into a box he doesn’t want to be in isn’t gonna change who he is… it will just make him ashamed to be who he is.

He’ll grow up soon enough and he’s probably got some hard decisions ahead of him no matter what he does. For now, can’t we just let him play?

October 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Well, finally… a subject the men have plenty to say about. I wonder why. They don’t have much if anything to say about other serious subjects Rene offers.

WILL, I LOVE YOU TOO.

October 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

LOL.

M.E. and GEM: Thanks for all the love! Not sure if I deserve it or not, but it’s much appreciated. ;-)

22. Ella

October 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I think I’ve got this one. Ok. Here goes.

1. I believe a lot of us on this thread are entrepreneurial (thanks spell check) to some degree. The person who said that they should start a “transgendered” scouts may have hit the nail on the head. I didn’t want to leave corporate America. It pushed me on my tukis and said “uh…buh-bye!” So what did I do? I searched for other opportunities and am making my own way. I’m not gonna google it, but I bet that’s how the Girl Scouts came to be. They wouldn’t let the girls in the Boy Scouts so viola!

2. Maybe it is my lack of having joined the Girl Scouts that I don’t do the “girlie” stuff. Ugh! My hair is a mess, I love heels, but prefer the speed of flats, and if you ever see me bat my eyelids please know that I’m doing morse code and the message is “SOS – I’m batting my eyelids!” Haahha That little boy knows he is not a girl…he just feels more comfortable around girls. He embraces something different. Seven is one heck of time to have the weight of gender identification battles. Maybe it’s because of so much teasing BY other boys thus far that has him wanting the safety of the gender that has provided him the most love and understanding given to him by (I assume) his mother.

3. Do Girl Scout outings offer different facilities for boys and girls? Probably not. So I do see a problem there. One of these days he’s gonna drop trow and no matter how many times our little girls have seen daddy’s ID tag (LOL) seeing it without supervision is scary to most parents. We all know that “the talk” isn’t something we want forced on us and anatomy lessons sans our approval are all over the news. Here in NYC parents can opt out of having their kids go to sex ed. Wild, but true. So I would assume again that that is one of the issues…even though Scout leaders would be on hand to facilitate privacy. These are Girl Scouts Gone Wild. Some modicum of privacy is afforded all the children, yes?

Of course, there’s a lot more here and there to the argument. And I actually see everyone’s point within the thread. I think we can all agree that parenting is hard and getting harder as our world expands and we try to include and teach our children to include everyone.

23. Ella

October 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

These are *not* Girl Scouts Gone Wild.

24. kt moxie

October 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’m actually on the fence on this one. If Bobby is actually living as a transgendered girl (forget the surgery, just living as a girl), then I would probably say SHE would be fine to join the Girl Scouts. But that’s not what the article says. It just says that he wanted to join the Girl Scouts because he thought he would be more comfortable there. If that’s that case, then it’s a big NO.

I was a Girl Scout for over 10 years, and Girl Scouts is NOT about doing a bunch of “girly” stuff. The organization’s mission is about giving girls a GIRLS-ONLY space to build leadership and other skills. And yes, Girl Scout camps do NOT have girls and boys facilities. Only girls. That’s a problem in my book.

Anyone who has been around tweens know that an all-girls group acts differently than a group that has even ONE boy in the mix (even an effeminate one). That IS important; Girl Scouts is an opportunity for Girls to have their own space.

If this kid is truly living as a girl, then I say it’s all good. Be a Girl Scout, and the troop should make appropriate accommodations for sleep overs, etc. But if he’s just a boy who likes to hang out with the girls and play with Bratz dolls? Well, then he just needs to find the “girl corner” of the playground.

25. Cody Williams

October 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Okay, I guess Rene did say this was going to be a debate.

ViHo, I’m with you.

Will, please re-read the postman, businessman, salesman paragraph. Really? What kind of logic does that follow?

The Girl Scouts is an institution set up to server females. This little boy is NOT a female.

That’s why I say his mom should start and organization called Transgender Scouts. That’s the best solution for everyone involved. Because only kids going through exactly what he’s going through can relate and give him the support he needs.

Women raise their son to be the type of men they are attracted to. My guess is this woman has serious issues with strong men.

Sexuality has little to do with this argument. Even a woman whose son is gay, if she is attracted to strong men, she will have a strong gay son.

26. Cody Williams

October 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Ella, the voice of reason.

I concur.

27. Cody Williams

October 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

@Moxie, I agree.

Don’t know why that’s such a hard concept to understand.

28. Shannon

October 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

My daughter has recently joined the Girls Scouts. We both have determined that this is a place where she can learn and grow and blossom into the young lady that she is supposed to be. Having said that, my daughter is 7 just like the little boy and when she saw this story on the news, she was like “Ewwww, I don’t want a boy with me. This is the girl scouts not the boy scouts.” Now my daughter does not know anything about being transgender or gender reassignment or identification. All she knows is that a boy wants to be in Girl Scouts and that is weird to her. So far at Girl Scouts she feels safe and a peace. It also provides her with a space to be away from her brothers. I had the same thought, why can’t they start an organization called Transgender scouts of America. Necessity is the mother of invention. As some stated, Boys Scouts is an older organization that Girl Scouts. Some one saw a need and the filled it. Okay, I am rambling because I am at work and rushing to type so I won’t get caught. I am sure I am going to catch hell, but I disagree with it.

October 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Cody,

The logic that the paragraph follows is that IT’S ALL ABOUT LABELS. Mailman, Postman, metermaid, tomboy, girl scouts.

What are the girl scouts doing that require them to have female genitalia? What badge is that for? What would keep this kid from doing the same things those other kids do? It’s cookies, bruh.

While I do agree that someone could start a troop for ALL scouts, I don’t think singling out transgender kids is what we’re after here. Why not let the kid give it a try, and if things don’t work out, then at least he can say he got to try.

Just my opinion.

30. Gayle Mahoney

October 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I have read this thread with great interest, but there is something missing here: I believe there is a misconception that gender is a very cut and dry issue, but in fact physical gender (biologically) and gender identification (psycho-social) both exist on a spectrum and are not necessarily polar opposites. And the way people identify can change over time throughout their lives.

I am a fan of Dancing With The Stars. This season we have watched transgender Chaz, a biological “woman” who identifies and has transitioned as male dance against a beautiful, straight, female soccer star (well, until Chaz was booted off this week) who has been criticized for moving too much like a guy. Huh? I don’t think I can ever wrap my head around that one… but I guess my point is, to be human means that we all live on a spectrum of experience, dreams, desire to love and be loved as we are. And that includes the whole boy, girl, whatever thing. What is more important than feeling that one can live one’s life being true to oneself, and having the people around them affirm that that’s OK?

31. Cody Williams

October 29, 2011 at 1:51 am

Gayle, I hear what you are saying. In fact I will use your words at one point. However, while I believe sexuality falls on a continuum, I’m not so sure that gender does. Maybe in small variations, but from conception we’re either XX or XY chromosome beings.

I do believe that at the extremes in ages (very young and very old) males and females are a lot closer to each other psycho-socially and in a lot of cases biologically. But, for the most part, physically boys are boys and girls are girls. What we tell ourselves is often far from that.

I totally don’t get that Chaz thing either.

32. Cody Williams

October 29, 2011 at 2:06 am

Will

As I type this I’m sitting in a hotel room in one bed and my eleven year old son is snoring in the other bed. His sister is having a slumber party in the suite down the hall with a bunch of her little girlfriends. They didn’t want any boys with them so I had to get me and my boy a room.

Sometimes females just have a need to gather in support of each other without us infiltrating. And I think we as men need to respect that and take a lesson.

Women come together to support one another in ways men don’t often enough. Maybe that’s why so many of us go off the deep end and do wild and crazy stuff. I honestly think it would be better if the Boys Scouts were forced to accept this kid just as he is and made to respect and honor him. There are probably a lot more boys who would feel better about themselves if allowed to let down those walls we are taught to erect around ourselves in the name of sexuality and machismo.

October 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

Cody,

Not trying to go completely off the rails here, but lets say this kid had been born with both female and male parts (it’s VERY rare, maybe one in 5000 babies, but it happens), but had long, curly, hair and wore dresses. Would it then be OK for him to be in the girl scouts or no? What if he had a sex change at seven years old and no longer had “boy parts”? Would it be ok then? Why or why not?

“So what’s my point?” right? LOL

My point is, what’s INSIDE of this little boy is not gonna change becasue of what nature or a scalpel does to his outside. If this kids acts, looks, and feels as femine as the other little girls, he’d probably fit in better than one of the “actual” girls who wore a shaved head, felt and acted like boy, and would have rather joined the boy scouts. Which of the two do you think the other girl scouts would have veen more comfortable around?

I do get what you’re saying, but I think folks get too tied up in who has what pieces of meat hanging where, and forget that there’s a person inside.

Not trying to be crude, but lets say, God forbid, you or I have some type of terrrible accident that requires an emergency surgery that removes our genitalia (yeah, I know, I squirmed as I wrote it). The next day, we wouldn’t be a women; we’d be men that don’t have penises. It’s a piece of meat, bruh. It doesn’t define who we are and neither does the world around us unless we let it. We have to do that for ourselves, from the inside. I think this kid just wants to do that.

34. Cody Williams

October 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Ahem, umm, well. Alrighty then. Sounds like a good exit point from this discussion.

*walking out with major swag and firmly gripping my johnny.*

35. ella

October 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

@cody thanks

@will looking for MY “piece of meat” LOL

Girls Rule! Boys Drool!

36. Dawn B

October 29, 2011 at 10:39 am

@Will,
    Girl Scouts is WAY more than cookies….. that statement alone shows you don’t understand what Girls Scouts is about and what we, as volunteer leaders, are trying to do here.

A key point is we are VOLUNTEERS, we are ‘trained’ in GS policies and traditions. But not much else. I, for one, would not want to take on the responsibility of all that it would entail to make sure 7 year olds understand the transgendered, gay, lesbian life and what it entails (AND TRUST ME, it would come up…7 year olds would have a lot of questions) …I am not qualified and I would be afraid to over step my bounds as a leader. My personal views would have to be kept out of it and believe me I am VERY pro-LBGT…and I would have a hard time keeping my influences out of it.
    Has this mother offered any solutions other than to complain and take her story to the media? If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

Shannon made the point perfectly, Girl Scouts is a place just for girls to be with girls. It’s led by the girls with the guidance and supervision of the adults…
    I signed up to be a leader to make a difference in these girls’ lives by teaching them to be good to each other, true to themselves and make the world a better place…I am sorry the Boy Scouts doesn’t have something for him to feel comfortable in. To me, it’s like the NAACP, AAFE, GLAAD, NUL, LA RAZA, MALDEF and CBC, these groups were created so like-minded people could gather and make a difference. Maybe his parents need to create a group for transgendered kids and model it after scouting.

it’s a whole lot more than Cookies.

October 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm

@Dawn B,

When I coach little league baseball, do you know what it is to the coaches? It’s learning teamwork. It’s hand-eye coordination. It’s learning to make split-second decisions. It’s learning how to be a gracious winner and a good loser. It’s learning that hard work in the off season pays off in the games.
    Do you know what it is to seven-year-olds? It’s playing baseball.

I didn’t mean for a minute that all girl scouts are taught is to sell cookies or that the troop leaders don’t work hard to instill good values and life lessons that these girls will take with them into adulthood; I simply meant that, at seven, these girls are not taking these things nearly as seriously as the adults around them.

I also fully understand that kids will come up with questions that you either aren’t trained or qualified to answer, or just shouldn’t answer. But I’m betting you get a fair share of those questions anyway. At seven and eight, a lot of these girls will be getting their first crushes… and some of those crushes won’t be on boys. When one little girl in your troop starts exhibiting signs of having a crush on another little girl in your troop, what happens then? If one of your scouts tells you she thinks she likes other girls and asks is she “normal”, what would you do. If your daughter was in someone else’s troop and ask a question like this to her troop leader, what would you want the troop leader to say to her?

These are questions that WILL come up, just as questions about religion, and race, and any other differences between the girls will come up. You’ll have to answer the ones you think you should, tell the girls to ask their parents on the questions you shouldn’t answer, and do your best to know the difference between the two.

And as for the groups you named above: the NAACP has white members, GLAAD has heterosexual members, etc, etc. These groups don’t discriminate. Creating a “group for transgender kids” makes it sound more like a leper colony where you’d send one group of people so that other groups would feel better about not having them around. If this was your son, is that what you’d want them to do to him? Would you want him accepted where ever he wanted to go or told that he had to form his own group because he was unacceptable at either of the other two? If these other groups really are created so that like minded people can gather and make a difference, and he feels like he is more like-minded with the girls than the boys, should it matter that he’s not “like-bodied” with them?

There were places that my father was not allowed to go because he was African-American. There were whole states that did not recognize his marriage to my mother because she was white. It is now 2011 and still two adults who love each other can’t get married and there are still clubs and associates that I can’t belong to because of the color of my skin. I like to think that, if I and the folks that think like me argue and fuss for long enough, maybe my grandchildren will be able to go anywhere they want to, regardless of the color of their skin, who they choose to marry, or what’s between their legs.

38. Mary Ann Kreitzer

November 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I have some questions. Who are the male role models in this child’s life? Is he being raised by a single mom?

As for letting a little boy join the Girl Scouts…What happens when the girls are teens. Will they share a tent with adolescent Bobby as he grows a beard and his voice deepens and he has wet dreams?

Can’t you just imagine the teen girl discussions about who’s started her period? Or will mom pay for hormone injections and surgery to turn little Bobby’s pretend girl brain into a pretend girl body?

Anybody who thinks this is normal needs a reality check. I have five children and am expecting my 21st grandchild. It’s normal for little boys to want to do the “fun things” girls do when they are little like paint their fingernails. No problem, they outgrow it. There is no evidence that people are “born that way.” But silly adults can certainly add to the problem of “gender confusion” and help create a lifetime of misery for these kids.

As for the Girl Scouts, they are already in trouble financially and sensible parents will pull their girls out of this idiotic group asap. It sure ain’t Juliette Low’s Girl Scouts. American Heritage Girls is a good alternative.

Don’t waste your time attacking me as “Neanderthal;” I’m too old to care. LOL!

November 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm

@Mary Ann: No one’s going to attack you but I find it curious that your bristling for a fight. Based on the email address from which you are writing, I deduce you are a believer. How about we let the Man upstairs do the judging and instead, we practice the things He spent the better part of His life doing? THX