On Mom’s Mind: What’s The Hardest Thing You’ve Ever Had To Do?

Good Enough Mother® - "On TV" Rene

Hey all!

Well, look who’s back on camera! That’s right, it’s the head GEM with another upgrade to Good Enough Mother. You may recall we did a couple of video segments on the site over the summer and they were so much fun (spoken like a true TV person)! Anyway, they’re back only this time, they’re shot right from the comfort of my home studio (which only cost pennies to pull together. See, I can save money when I want to).

Okay, so this video is a new segment we’re calling, “On Mom’s Mind”, a random collection of things in the news and in my head. Today’s question is designed for you to bare your soul a bit as well as be introspective. So take two minutes to listen to, and answer, this edition of On Mom’s Mind.

Okay, your turn. What’s the hardest thing you ever had to do? How did you do it and what did you learn from it? Lemme hear ya! Fire away!
Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com. When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Gloria

October 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hardest thing I ever had to do was leave my fiance/father of my daughter and make the big move from Florida to New York City. I made the decision with a lot of self reflection a lot of asking and finally listening to myself.
    The result is the happiest we have EVER been.

2. Christian Iles

October 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm

The hardest thing for me to do was to say goodbye to my mother before she passed away from cancer. She called all the children in one by one and spent a little special time with each of us. The last thing she said to me was, “you run along now. And remember, I will be seeing you later.”

3. Kelley

October 25, 2011 at 9:30 pm

You’ve given me something to think about. Part of me wants to say that I realized, in watching this segment, that I have a blessed life and I need to constantly remember that. I can’t say that I’ve had something so monumental that qualifies as an answer here. That said, this set and this site is AMAZING. Kudos to you and to this project. Very inspiring.

4. Danielle

October 25, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Deciding to have my sweet Kobe Coa-Coa euthanized because of inoperable tumors. He was my furry child substitute and a beloved member of our family.

5. F Reese

October 26, 2011 at 2:09 am

Left my response in your inbox.

October 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

I doubt you’ll get many answers from men on this one… including myself.

I can’t speak for all of us but for me, once I have to deal with something that bad (and there have been more than I care to count) I handle it, I close it, and I don’t open it back up. My darkest days won’t see light again.

…I guess that’s my answer for why I didn’t answer.

7. TechyDad

October 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Off the top of my head, the hardest thing I ever had to do was nothing.

To give some history, NHL had a febrile seizure in during a tub intended to help his rising temperature at 11 months old. He turned blue, stopped breathing and was rushed to the hospital. When JSL had a fever and we were told to give him a tub, I was hesitant. Then, JSL had a seizure, turned grey and stopped breathing… and didn’t start on his own.

My mother-in-law gave him rescue breaths while 911 was called. There was nothing I could do. My baby was laying on the bed, wet, grey and lifeless and there wasn’t a single thing I could do. I occupied myself with running back and forth from the front door (checking if the ambulance arrived yet) to the bedroom (seeing what was going on).

I’m the kind of guy who wants to fix everything and make everything better. To be so completely helpless and have zero options available to me to help the situation was torture. More than anything I wanted to dive in and do *something*, but I knew I’d only be getting in the way.

So the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do was nothing. Do nothing and let people who had skills I didn’t have do what they needed to do.

8. TechyDad

October 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

@Will,

I guess I’m not a typical man, then because I value opening up my “darkest days” and going over them. From my kids’ febrile seizures (see my other post) to my extensive bullying growing up, I find I learn more when I examine the difficult moments in my past instead of just declaring them closed and sealed away.

9. Cody Williams

October 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Graduate from Michigan. Talk about difficult.

Just kidding.

I would say taking my mom off life support, but watching her struggle to breathe during her last days on the planet made that decision easy. God has a way of preparing us for death.

I think leaving southern California and moving to the east coast caused the most handwringing. I still am not sure it was the right thing to do and that was ions ago. I’ve often thought of moving back but now my roots are too deeply planted here.

10. Cody Williams

October 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Oops ^eons^

October 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

TechyDad,

I didn’t say “any”, I said “many”.

When Gem posts questions, I tend to run a straw poll of the guys in my general vicinity at the time, and on this one I got nothing but crickets. We all kind of looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders in a “I can’t think of anything off hand” kind of way… evne though a few of the faces said other wise. Everyone’s different; if examining the bad stuff helps you, then it’s exactly what you should be doing.

12. Regina

October 27, 2011 at 7:02 pm

The hardest thing I had to do and still doing is to stay quite, Is to step back and watch My Daughter work everyday, rise three kids, two of her own and one grown man. I have talked with her about what she is allowing to go on.” And she just tell me mom! he’s not cheating on me, he’s not beating me, he’s home everyday taking care of my kids.”

She go’s to work everyday, And he has the nerve to tell one of his friends that” My girl likes working. How would he know He never had and job ever, in the 15 years he’s been with My daughter.

She buys him his habit daily. and He walks around the house complaining that Im here. And blame everything wrong on me for being here.
    The hardest thing I had to do is stop telling my daughter what she is doing is wrong. Matter of fact I stop talking to her and him altogether.
    He had talked about getting and job. But never do. he had three jobs offers. And did’nt take none of them.
    And the weird part about all this is She know its wrong and do nothing to fix it. He think by cleaning the house and taking meat out the freezer, and barking at the kids to clean up everyday, And going through my things. Is thats bring money in the house. He’s over 30 years old. and never file income tax. And Im not working either and I have to leave the house everyday, and I live off of 221.00 an month. Minus 100.00 to the house, plus I have until December to find and job, or move out.
    I know things are not going to change here, but Im praying for this housing to come through for me soon. How much is love going for these days for the young woman allow men like that to even enter her life.