Collateral Damage: Why I’ll Never Watch Another Arnold Schwarzenegger Movie

arnold-schwarzenegger4

I’ve always been fairly neutral on Arnold Schwarzenegger. His acting was, in my mind, mid-range and even his becoming governor of my home state barely garnered a “meh” from me.

But now, following the events of the last two weeks and the bombshell from a few days ago that neutrality has turned to ire that grows the more I hear about this story and the fallout. What a freakin’ low life.

Giving it a bit of thought, I think I know what bugs me most about this. If actions speak to character, than this is a man who is driven by two traits I literally despise; arrogance and selfishness.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

First the arrogance. Granted we don’t know the whole story about what transpired between Schwarzenegger and his mistress, Mildred Baena, like who moved in on who or other intimate details. But what we do know leaves a very bad after taste, doesn’t it?

We know Mildred worked with the family for two decades and that she and Schwarzenegger’s wife, Maria Shriver, were pregnant at the same time with Baena’s son born just days after Schwarzenegger’s youngest son. I cannot FATHOM the level of arrogance needed to a) have an affair with someone who works so closely with your family and your wife and B) NOT USE PROTECTION (we do know how babies are made don’t we?).

But don’t you see? Arnold’s behavior in and of itself shows a stunning level of arrogance, a thinking that “the rules that mere mortals play by don’t apply to me.” And his entitled behavior really isn’t new. Schwarzenegger had been accused of groping women years ago and in 2003 gave a blanket apology for “behaving badly”. But even then he linked it to dirty politics instead of admitting that he played a one-sided game of touchy-feely.

That arrogance leads to my second bugbear – selfish behavior. Schwarzenegger apologized for the groping only after it became a campaign issue because he thought he could get away with it, that there was nothing wrong with touching a women any way he wanted to. Why? Because the aforementioned “rules” don’t apply to him. He’s a movie star. He’s about to be governor. He’s entitled.

The very fact that Schwarzenegger thought it was okay to have unprotected sex with a woman other than his wife without regard for a potential pregnancy shows momentary pleasure was the only thing on his mind. Well, now there’s a child or an “event” as he said in his statement, which was equally sickening.

But here’s the part that REALLY gets my goat. As the expert in the video points out, this poor kid has had his life turned upside down. A few days ago he was dealing with the issues that normal teenagers have; girls, pimples and the prom. Now he’s got the media clamoring to get a shot of him. His mother’s picture is splashed on newspapers around the world and her behavior, picked apart and scrutinized along with it. Does he now look at the Schwarzenegger-Shriver kids and think, as kids often do, “How is this fair?” His entire world has been rocked so hard it will take years of therapy for him to recover, if ever. He is forever and irreparably changed because of the arrogant, selfish, id-driven behavior of his parents.

What is it about certain men who think this behavior is okay? Maybe the equally distasteful John Edwards, who cheated on his dying wife and fathered a child with his mistress, can help explain. In whose rulebook is this okay?

Listen, I’m not gonna point fingers at people’s marriages, heck I have enough work making sure my own stays on track; besides you never really know what’s happening on the inside. But could you not at least think about your kids? Schwarzenegger dropped a bomb smack dab in the middle of a lot of young people’s lives; they’re the walking wounded, left trying to piece the story and their hearts and lives back together.

Schwarzenegger has left the governor’s mansion and is now trying to get his stalled movie career back on track. If this makes me immature, so be it but I can promise you this, I will never spend another dime on any movie he’s in. The flaws in his movie roles pale in comparison to the gaping hole in his character.

But what do you think? How does someone justify behavior like this? Am I alone in my complete disgust for this man?

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com . When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Valerie

May 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

My question is why when Democrats such as Bill Clinton & John Edwards are practically burned at the stake for being unfaithful. While when Republicans such as Arnold and Newt Gingrich are basically given a free pass. It’s like Republicans don’t even blink when one of their own is caught cheating.

2. Ann

May 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm

As arrogrant and selfish as he has been… I doubt that when he goes to bed tonite…he feels good about what he has done to his family.

3. Debra @ A Frugal Friend

May 19, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Valerie, this Republican is blinking. :-)

Things happen in a marriage, and that’s hard enough to deal with, but to have a child for that long and keep that from your wife and children too!!

No Arnold movies for me……he’s TERMINATED!

4. america

May 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I can honestly say..the one real well sorta real relationship I was in the “TURD” cheated I was sooo hurt and all that jazz took me a min or two to get over it…but I can say this with ALL THE VINGAR AND HATE AND WHATEVER OTHER EMOTION you can attacht to this…THERE IS NOTHING THAT, THIS (INSERT WHATEVA CUSS WORD FITS) COULD SAY TO ME LESS THAN ” LET ME KNOW WHEN TO SIGN THE PAPERS”…NUFFING DONT EVEN OPEN YA MOUF TO ME…OK…
    So…this is why I have cats now…I DONT HAVE THAT DRAMA AND I’M LIABLE TO CATCH A CHARGE THE NEXT TIME I GO THRU SOMETHING LIKE THAT….They keep me sane…
    His other kids …damn…they are dealing with it…but the love child…WHAT IS HE GOING THRU….WOWO…

5. Jayson Sutherland

May 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Again if this had been Jamal from the hood, what would we say? How would we view him? Would we give him a pass? No we would say he is a piece of scum low life. Well money and fame should not placate immunity

6. Candace

May 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I don’t get how this is about Republicans or Democrats? It’s about a man who has no regard for those around him. Period.

7. KATINA

May 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I feel bad for Maria and all the children…but I will still watch his movies I don’t know the man personally but I love his movies. I am upset however that this lil man has not been allowed to form relationships with his brother and sister and more importantly Arnold. I hate the fact that he was hidden like it’s his fault when the 2 selfish adults have moved on with their lives. The woman put herself and her son in a bad place she knew from the beginning this man was married and even if he was coming on to her the word NO goes a long way. What is happening to her son right now is her fault and she should have considered all the possibilities before she slept with another woman’s husband…..when will women like this ever learn? Shame on you Sperminator cheating on your family is not cool and denying an innocent child (for any reason) is even more lame!!!Maybe I won’t watch anymore Arnold movies I’m kind of upset with him now…wow what an idiot:-/!!

8. Kimberly Lewis

May 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I’m hurt for Maria and the children. Anytime a marriage is destroyed and there are children involved, it is even more painful. I’m with you, GEM. I’ll save my money and not see any more of his movies. His child support payments won’t come from my patronage.

9. Irene

May 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

what a darn shame…
    \

10. PiecesOfEight

May 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Rene did you see that he up and offered to pay for Mildreds nieces Quinceanera? Her family thought it was odd

11. Irene

May 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Holy molie…on dr drew right now a GUEST is alledging there could be more then one child…….((john connolly vanity fair))

12. Mandi

May 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm

It is a very sad situation.

13. m.e. Johnson

May 19, 2011 at 11:17 pm

The young lad deserves at least his own million or two.

Rental of Ah-nuld’s movies have skyrocketed. What does that tell you?

I never did much care for his movies and certainly how he messed up Cali. I am not surprised by this. I just wonder how many more are out there who haven’t been caught yet.

14. Mike McGinley

May 20, 2011 at 1:59 am

The reason I love reading your blog? Because, Rene, you are so honest to the point that you say, hey, we don’t know everything about this, but can you at least think about the kids?

And truly, he already had fathered 3 children with Maria and obviously had political aspirations. His lack of regard for his family makes any good American not want to support his next film. I can never imagine going to see a movie and know that a portion of my admission charge will go to him. It’s sad, because I loved them as a couple for all their hard work and charitable contributions. Now, he just makes me sick and I wish Maria and her children the best as they try to recover.

15. Faun

May 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

You asked who was looking forward to the day of rapture, Arnold. Well, knowing his cocky self, he’d probably respond, “I’ll be bock!” Arrogant a$$wipe!

16. Miko

May 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I never was a fan of his movies, so this won’t affect my movie habits. HOWEVER, I’m very disappointed in his actions. And you’re completely right — arrogance and selfishness were his motivators. The phrase for all of this — in my book — is bonafide ball of mess.