The GEM Debate: Could You Handle An Open Marriage?

sister wives

Not that we’re taking our cues from that strange place called Hollywood or anything, but there’s an interesting piece in today’s Daily Beast – all about the highly charged topic of open marriages.

The article lists a whole load of couples either confirmed or suspected, to be in open marriages, running down some well-known names (Tilda Swinton, Mo’Nique) as well as those dominating the headlines of late.

We’ve touched on this topic before here on Good Enough Mother in connection with Charlie Sheen and his “goddesses”, the popularity of shows like HBO’s Big Love (about a fictional polygamist family) and TLC’s Sister Wives (about a real one) – so is open marriage slowly becoming more acceptable?

Hmm, I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to weigh in with my opinion. Okay, could I be in an open marriage? I suppose I could; the question is would I want to be? Maybe it would be exciting, for a little while, but honestly, I have enough on my plate with just one man and two kids. Do I need to add another man? Oh the drama! Yeah, I’d say this lifestyle would be a no for me.

So here’s today’s GEM Debate…

If it were more widely accepted by the mainstream, COULD you be in an open marriage/relationship?  And what would your rules be?

Start weighing in everyone… this is gonna be good!

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com. When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Patrish

March 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’ve often thought that what I really need is…a wife! in the right circumstances, I think a sister wife would work. but, add another husband?? NO WAY!!! one is puh-lenty! LOL…

2. DawnKA

March 13, 2011 at 11:50 am

Multiple husbands no too much juggling – extra work. Other women – No, too much drama. It wont work because I can’t be on schedule for sex or time with my man. I would much prefer to live in fantasy world where everything would be perfect ;-)

3. Rich

March 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

It depends on how you classify ‘open’…

A lot of gay couples have open relationships but there are clear rules and it’s more about having some fun on the side than actual full on relationships

4. M.E. Johnson

March 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!

5. juli

March 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Relationship. Yes.
    Marriage. No.

6. BalancingJane

March 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

It’s hard enough to find one person compatible enough to spend that much time with. I can’t imagine adding another–or more.

7. Irene

March 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

I will second M.E. Johnson…OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!

8. kt moxie

March 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

I hate to be a stickler over labels, but open marriages and polygamist marriages are just about polar opposites. Open marriages means that BOTH partners can date other people — usually it means they can have sex outside of marriage. Polygamist marriages are much, much different. (Usually) NO sex outside of marriage — and only more wives. WAY different. Either way — not for me. But I won’t define what works for other people.

9. Peppercorn16

March 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Open marriages are just a way of one or both to cheat ahving his or her cake and eating it too

And that crap about the mate not being jealous is a load of BULL because sooner or later somone is going to get hurt and it’s the wife because no way is she deeply alright with her husband the father of her kids is happy with him going out and having sex with other women.
    And dollars to donuts the hubby is the one having the fun and the wife is going to always have a picture in her mind as to what the other women look like and if he may leave her for the other woman.

I wonder if the hubby to sister/wives would be okay if one of his wives came to him and said she met someone( a man) and she she’d like to spend some time with him without the other wives and without him?

10. jodifur

March 25, 2011 at 10:38 am

No. But because I am too jealous of a person and it would be too hard for me, but I think if it works for you more power to you.

11. Aurora

April 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

I don’t like to share….. i don’t knock anyone for doing either of the options but for me, i prefer to be the only one. Perhaps I could have 2 or 3 husbands though and then I wouldn’t have to share ;) I may need to formulate this plan…………..