SESAME STREET’S HAIR AFFAIR!

Don’t you just love Sesame Street!

Good Enough Mother gave the iconic kids’ show a hard time recently after they banished the lovely Katy Perry for showing too much cleavage in a guest spot (the horror!) But I’ve gotta give them big ups for this one.

Check out this cool little video doing the rounds today. In it, an adorable little, African American girl, well Muppet actually, sings about how much she loves her hair…. Her NATURAL hair of course…

YouTube Preview Image

Of course, those of you who know me personally or are avid Good Enough Mother followers know what a big deal the hair thing is to me. When I was younger, my mom used to wash and press it. When I was in the fourth grade, I got it cut into an Afro and wore it like that until about the 10th grade.

In the 10th grade, I got my first relaxer and from then on I as addicted to what some call black women “creamy crack”.

For three decades I did what so many, chemically relaxed black women do, I fought with my hair. I fought to get it straight, I fought the weather, I fought the thin, fine edges and mourned the thickness the chemicals stole. The irony was I had a daughter with BEAUTIFUL hair, curly, strong, and gorgeous. What sort of message was I sending her about her own hair if I didn’t embrace my own?

So two years ago I stopped with the chemicals. Of course my hand was forced when my hair fell out due to illness and chemicals but the end result was the same; I experienced an epiphany about my hair. I vowed to love me; all of me, including my wild curls that so often have a mind of their own.

Oh how I wish this little Muppet had been hanging around Sesame Street when I was watching. I would have loved to see her infectious enthusiasm and complete love for her kinks and curls. Casey is too old for Sesame Street now but no matter. She has grown up loving her hair and knows it’s one of the things that make her unique. Hopefully other little girls with curls will feel the same way after watching this!

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com . When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Vanessa

October 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I love this video. For Sesame Street to make a video like this…things are really changing. I’ve also noticed a lot of naturals in commercials nowadays. Very inspiring.

2. sandrine

October 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I am asian, and I have straight hair. I have always envied the springy, happy hair of the African women. The grass is always greener……

3. M.E. Johnson

October 15, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Does anybody remember the Rugrats on Nickelodeon? Susie was the Black one with dreadlocks. Well, by the late 90s you couldn’t find a Susie doll anywhere. The others yes, Susie no. My son happened on two, got them for me (why? I dunno). Haven’t seen one since.

“Happy hair”? That’s a new one.

4. Nikki Newman

October 17, 2010 at 1:50 am

I felt quite emotional reading and watching this, Rene. Marvellous stuff, so inspiring :-) (and how I loved that show when I was little!)

5. Marcie McNeal

October 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This is so wonderful! This video confirms it-there seems to be a new movement. On Oprah, Jada Pinkett-Smith remarked how she agreed to let her daughter shave the sides of head, for one-because her daughter didn’t define that as her beauty! My own 9 yr. old said she wants to wear her hair natural, “You know mom, no perm-just natural, just me”
    I LOVE IT!

October 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Oh I LOVE that your 9-year-old said that! Casey said to me the other day (after we straightened her hair for the first day of school) that she felt like her straight hair made her look like everyone else and she liked her curls because not everyone had them. YIPPEE!

7. Auntie Lisa

October 19, 2010 at 7:49 am

ABC News featured that video last night. Sweet!

I’m the other side of that coin, as I always had straight hair and spent years perming it to get those full, lively curls. My natural hair is back now, but it is extremely challenging to get it looking good… still wrestling with that! (It’s not totally straight, but not truly curly either… just a bit wavy, I guess.) Got a ways to go before I’m able to say “I love my hair.” :-)

8. Pingback: SESAME STREET: THE MAN BEHIND THE HAIR