THE TIGER WOODS DIVORCE

Or 100 Million Reasons To Think Before You Cheat!

Heavy sigh from Good Enough Mother today as I read that the divorce is now final between Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren.  Wow what a sordid tale with an astronomically high priced ending – apparently $100 million plus!

We remember when the news broke that the world’s greatest golfer, untouchable on the course, was felled by a car accident. I remember feeling so sorry for him right after the accident. That is until the bimbos started coming out of the woodwork and did not stop. My concern turned to ire as I wondered how he could be so stupid! How could he put his wife at risk?. How could he throw away everything that he worked so hard to build?

So now, as the ink is drying on the divorce papers, the question is – did Elin Nordegren deserve that mega settlement? Celebrity divorce attorney Raoul Felder has an interesting theory on why it cost so much and happened at such lightning speed.

Now while 100 million (if that is in fact the figure) is a lot of money, I think Elin deserves every last dime. Here’s why.

* She was integral to his image:  Sure Tiger had already been crowned the world’s best golfer but it was the image of wholesome family man off the course that also helped with advertisers. They loved seeing him cuddle with his kids and even if it was not used in ad copy, it still helped sell Buicks, watches, golf clubs, Nike merchandise, whatever.

* The price of the prying media: I’m really not sure this woman will ever be able to have any normal existence based on who she is and what’s she’s been through. Maybe that money will make living in a fishbowl a bit easier.

* Combat pay: How hard must it have been for Elin to stay mum, keep her head up, go on about the business of being a mommy when day after day after day a new woman was popping up on the news talking about the crazy sex they had with her husband? Let me say right now she is a bigger woman than I to handle such scandal with such grace and class.

Some feel Elin didn’t deserve the money because she “was a nanny who set her sights on him.” (Yes, I heard that). I don’t care if she made her life’s work picking up plastic cups on the side of the highway, no one deserves to be treated that poorly. And even if she did “set her sights on him” then shame on him for marrying her in the first place (and oh, by the way, don’t we ALL set out sights on the person we marry?)

The other argument people are find of making is that she knew what she was getting into; in other words, that Tiger was a womanizer who probably would not change. Really? And how would you know that?

Tiger, who once loomed large over the game, has fallen from grace with stunning speed, definitely no longer the invincible figure he once was. There are two kids who have to deal with the fallout and God help him when they are old enough to surf the web and read all about their father’s antics.

Okay, you heard how I feel, what about you? Does Elin Nordegren deserve $100 million dollars – or is it an excessive amount for a 6 year marriage? Weigh in!

Rene Syler is a wife, mother, breast cancer advocate and television personality whose burning desire to tell the truth about modern motherhood led her to create GoodEnoughMother.com. When not spending time with her family or burning something for dinner, Rene travels the country as host of Sweet Retreats on The Live Well Network and Exhale on Aspire.

1. Deon Smith

August 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Lets be CLEAR and NOT kid ourselves here: This was NEVER a TRADITIONAL marriage! This was a business deal from the START! As soon she got married to him she popped those 2 kids faster than quicksilver. No sympathy toward her. She got what she wanted. Now she is set for life–THE END. (disclaimer: NOT CONDONING TIGER’S SELFISH ACTIONS AT ALL…..)

2. Gayle Mahoney

August 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Sorry, but I so don’t care. If Tiger retired today he would be remembered as one of the greatest golfers of all time (he deserves that!). Elin seems to have her head on her shoulders, I think their kids are going to have a pretty good life, financially and emotionally. Tiger is probably an awesome dad! Biggest loser: Nike?

3. Pam Muhammad

August 24, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I do not have any problem with the amount that Elin may get in her divorce settlement. What I do have a problem with is those who resort to name calling and belittling her when all she did was mind her own business, raise her children, and be a good wife to Mr. Woods. Of course I wasn’t there, but she seems genuine, not a paparazzi queen or media hound. I do not have an opinion about what he did other than to say shame on him. She appears to be a nice young woman. I felt bad for her and the children. Should she get the money, it won’t buy back the six years she spent with him as his wife. She deserves every penny.

4. Sharon Nash Alexander

August 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm

yes she deserves it… c’mon it is only what an 1/8 of his fortune. Part of what he is paying for is for her to keep her mouth shut… it’s the least he should do. I had hoped they would work it out… but since they could not it seems fair now everyone can start to heal and move on with their lives

5. Jill

August 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm

No one, in their right minds, would “pop out babies” and feel its nothing but a business deal. Our culture turns women into commercialized objectified Stepford bots, but that doesn’t mean they really are. How humiliating to just have a baby, one barely out of diapers, and the husband is off being a jerk. No one asks to raise a family like that, and 100 million will never bring back those moments, or replace the tragic memories they will forever avoid telling the kids.

6. Teresa

August 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Actually to those who say “she was just a nanny,” Elin comes from a pretty high-powered family in Sweden. Elin certainly wasn’t desperate, and I’m sure would have done (and will do) quite well without Tiger Woods.

7. Irene

August 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Elin is the mother of Tiger’s children. Tiger made this mess and his kids deserve their mother to be financially taken care of.

I think that it is shovenistic of society to put a price tag on marriages. Marriage vows are supposed to mean something in this culture and they just don’t. And, when the marriage goes south there is this idea that the money of either spouse should not be split equitably…well I just don’t agree.

Regardless of what anybody thinks there are kids here, this woman was publicly humialiated and never struck back…she deserves every dime of the 100 million and then some.

8. Irene

August 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm

On a lighter note…Did Elin get the golf club found on/near the car the night of the accident? :-)

9. Karen

August 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Tiger may be a great golfer, however that does not justify what he CHOSE to do to his wife and children. Good for Elin for moving on with her life. I hope she can put the past behind and look ahead. As for Tiger I hope he gets professional help for his problem. I have gained respect for her and lost respect for him. Best of luck to Elin. Thank you Rene for writing a thoughtful piece.

August 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm

agreed.. That argument does not hold water and certainly does not excuse what he did to her.

11. Valerie Porter

August 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Good for her, she married him regardless of the reason and she will have to answer to her children one day. There is no amount of money that can explain away his reasons to the children. The children are the victims here, and that is the sad part. Being rich and famous should make you much more conscience of how you live your life, because always remember, your children will question you one day about your antics. The money is no object here folks, its the kids. GEM, you know that all too well.

12. Eugenia

August 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I don’t condone what Tiger did but I don’t believe Elin was a victim either. Tiger should have never ever got married but she was living in a fantasy world if she thought he would be faithful to her. Powerful, rich athletes tend to cheat and many times women are paid to “satisfy” them when they are on the road playing their respective games. This is fact. I believe she deserved some money and 100 million is a small portion of Tiger’s wealth but I do NOT see her as a victim at all. If she thought she was going to have a June Cleaver existence with Tiger Woods, then she was delusional. I wish both of them the best and I believe the kids will be fine.

13. Lena Cole Dennis

August 25, 2010 at 4:36 am

Tiger was pushed into marriage to create the family man image. He should have remained a single guy doing what the heck he was comfortable doing….screwing bimbos. His major problem is not taking better care of the women he picked to be intimate with. He was cheap and played on the same dreams as Elin finding someone to take care of them. It just happens that Elin got the better end of the deal her dream came true….she really should pay those women a stipend…they really helped her to find her dream dummy…Tiger.

14. Irene

August 25, 2010 at 7:34 am

GMA is talking about the People Mag interview with Elin Woods.

15. lilkunta

August 25, 2010 at 10:24 am

“the new black”…I hate that phrase.
    for those who have blamed Elin, you all really think she planned all this? Yes she was doing childcare, at least she was working. Tiger dated her and he felt her worthy to be his wife. Tiger cheated REPEATEDLY because he felt entitled. He has admitted this. Through this all Elin has been silent. She hasnt defamed in.

16. Irene

August 25, 2010 at 2:44 pm

yes, lilkunta they call that “Class” look at her and Sandra Bullock…then look at cough, cough others who advertise their divorces…

17. Bes

August 25, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I don’t admire her. I wish her no ill and I am sure that it was a difficult time, but no more difficult than anyone else in the world that experiences marital or relationship breakdown. What is truly ridiculous is the amount of money that she will receive – I am sure that 100 million will “heal” her family pretty quickly. Perhaps some of the vast fortune that she has received can be put to some charitable use because she sure as hell won’t need all of it. it is out of proportion with reality and is, frankly, nothing more than a “profit” from a sorry situation. It amounts to a penalty to Woods but is dressed up as being something else – let’s be honest about it, he gets clobbered in the pocket by society because his behaviour is immoral. That is not what matrimonial settlements are supposed to represent.

18. pattyrowland

August 26, 2010 at 6:41 pm

what i don’t understand is that if he’s supposedly worth 600 million, how come she only gets 100? that doesn’t seem fair.

19. thinkaboutit

August 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

They were only married for 5 years. She would not even qualify to collect social security for these few years. Instead she gets reportedly between 100 to 750 million.

The reason she was quiet? The same reason Rachel Uchitel was quiet–to extort money from Tiger–don’t turn it into a classy thing now.

I believe that she was unhappy in the marriage, but cheapskate Tiger would not give her the means to live well. So when an opportunity came to leave him and get paid she took it. Smart, yes. Classy, not necessarily.