- Ask Rene
- Family & Home
- Health & Beauty
- GEM ON THE GO
- Rene on TV
- Good Enough Mother
Good Enough Mother would like to wish Sandra Bullock a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The actress turns 46 today. What do you get the woman who has everything – and been through so much? How about bestowing upon her our Marvelous Mother award?
Like Angelina Jolie, Sandra is deserving for so many reasons – but here are my top 5.
1. SHE’S REFRESHINGLY NORMAL: Maybe because we’re around the same age (oh, okay, I am a year older) I related to her in a way. Not that this rich, famous actress had much in common with me, a struggling journalist – but there is an everywoman quality about her that is so inviting. She was not one of those overly done-up actresses that intimidate you just looking at them onscreen. She was, dare we say, normal. I loved how she made fun of the whole glam squad stuff in Miss Congeniality. I actually believed she was more at home in jeans with her unkempt eyebrows.
2. WE ADMIRED HER MARRIAGE TO JESSE JAMES: Of course this is before we found out what an enormous sack of donkey crap he is. But after dating several Hollywood types, it was nice to see her settle down with this rough, gruff guy. It showed me that she was able to see beyond the shell of a person. When she publicly thanked him at the Academy Awards and he teared-up, it took my breath away. We know now why he was crying. He realized he didn’t deserve her. Jackass.
3. SHE EARNED HER STRIPES IN HOLLYWOOD: This woman is no Kewpie doll who waltzed into starring roles in big budget blockbusters. No, she worked hard, honing her craft in Off-Broadway productions and indie films long before her breakout role in Speed. That’s why when we see her on screen she has the depth and dimension that comes from working hard to get where she is.
4. SHE HANDLED THE IMPLOSION OF HER MARRIAGE WITH GRACE: Our hearts broke with hers after we found out (apparently around the same time she did) that her husband, Jesse James put the monster in Monster Garage. While she was out working on the movie The Blind Side, a role that would make us fall in love with her all over again, he was busy carrying on with a trashy, Nazi paraphernalia-lovin’ woman with a penchant for body art. She had to ask the same question so many of us did.. HER?? But Sandra taught us that no matter how much we want to pull an Angela Basset in Waiting to Exhale, you can never go wrong being classy. She has not commented publicly on the break-up, instead opting to quietly put the pieces of her life back together. Sandra stayed hidden for a few days before reappearing, and might we say, looking no worse for wear. Love that.
5. WE LOVE HER FOR OPENING HER HEART AND HOME TO BABY LOUIE AND HER STEPCHILDREN: How great was it to see her emerge from her self-imposed exile with A BABY?! In an instant it seemed we went from feeling sad and blue for her to being ecstatic when we saw her on the cover of People magazine with baby Louis. Apparently she and you-know-who had begun adoption proceedings four years earlier and the baby joined them in their home in January of this year. They were planning on making his arrival public after the Oscars but then she separated from James. She went on to adopt baby Louis as a single parent. But she has also remained in the lives of her stepchildren, most notably Sunny Lindemulder, who has not one but two unstable birth parents (Her father is James her mother is porn star Janine Lindemulder). Sunny and baby Louis are a couple of lucky kids.
Of course there are other reasons to love Sandra Bullock these are just a few. But Good Enough Mother’s birthday wish for her is that she continues to be surrounded by love and find peace and happiness she so richly deserves.
Is she a Marvelous Mother? Why do you like her? Do you have suggestions for another mother that needs to be singled out? Let me know!